Author Topic: S.W. PPG Ditzler - What did San Jose spray 69's with?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline 7Lscjracer

S.W. PPG Ditzler - What did San Jose spray 69's with?
« on: June 08, 2012, 02:31:45 AM »
Thought I'd pick up a paint chip sample card for posterity, but I'm wondering what brand would be the one to buy for a Nov. '68 SJ build of non-special order color?
I wouldn't be surprised to find the plant used whatever they could pull in since the paint companies just had their own numbers for the same color, but who knows?
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline buckeyeresto

Re: S.W. PPG Ditzler - What did San Jose spray 69's with?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 07:30:28 AM »
more then likely limco which was oem back in the day could also be rm.  the colors are way off anymore because the toners they had back in the day are no longer available most of the metalics have been changed out with pearls and special pigments for the new colors. sw, rm and ppg are about the same in quality, sikkens and glasurit are much higher end.  Use what ever you want the colors will very with all paint manufactures

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: S.W. PPG Ditzler - What did San Jose spray 69's with?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »
I would find a period type color chip chart. They are always on Ebay. From comparison it seems that they are typically consistent from one to another regardless of the MFG. That way when you get your preferred paint manufacturers formula you can tint it to the chip. Back in the day there were variations from one plant to another plus weather conditions etc.  I just got done doing that for a yellow color . It took a few times spraying out on cards but finally got close . It still may not be 100% exact but at least if you tint it to the chip you can be confident you made the best effort you could IMHO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby