Author Topic: Looking for 1970 Metuchen Mach 1 detailed pictures  (Read 5419 times)

Offline mrfairlane

Looking for 1970 Metuchen Mach 1 detailed pictures
« on: March 14, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »
Hello guys,

I just found this forum and am making my first post. I'm looking for pictures of correctly restored or original firewalls, outer fender aprons, front & rear suspensions, floors, and short frames etc for reference as I start my 1970 H code car.

I'm apologizing in advance if this forum already has a picture gallery with these type resources. If not I would really appreciate links you may have, or actual pictures sent to my email thehiggins10@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Looking for 1970 Metuchen Mach 1 detailed pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:29:31 PM »
Welcome Jerry

Can you tell us when in the 70 production year your car was built?

From there we can hopefully find another car near yours as an example.

Guess your at the stage of painting the body or at least prepping it for sealer and paint.

As far as detailing front and rear suspension - best to start another thread with all the details again of when and where your car was built and we'll help out
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mrfairlane

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

My car was built 11/04/69. I'm presently replacing the shock towers and front aprons, and would like to simulate the factory primer and undercoating patterns on the back side along with suspension detailing during reassembly. The car will not be 100% perfect, but I would like the work I'm doing to be close.

Offline craig429

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »
I am also very interested in this subject for my 70 SCJ that was built in 9/69 in Metcuhen.
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:23:39 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

My car was built 11/04/69. I'm presently replacing the shock towers and front aprons, and would like to simulate the factory primer and undercoating patterns on the back side along with suspension detailing during reassembly. The car will not be 100% perfect, but I would like the work I'm doing to be close.

NJ cars can be a challenge since they are often well rusted and lack many details due to this. Good thing is that its a 70 since we do have a fair number of 70 Boss 302's that escaped the region to drier parts of the country

NJ 70's are pretty straight forward - basically the same as San Jose cars during the same period

- Front wheel wells (inner fenders and shock towers on wheel side) are all black with the same paint as used inside the engine compartment. Appears that the rear splash shields may have been in place when the black was applied. So black from the cowl pinch weld on the drivers side to the passenger side cowl pinch weld. Every inch of the shock tower didn't always get a thick/good coat of black but they tried not to miss anything ;)

- The bottom of the front frame rails are red oxide (applied first) as well as pockets formed by the sheet metal on the bottom of the car where the black (applied from above) would not have reached with direct application or overspray.

Much like this Dearborn example

- Like other years and plants the sound deadener in the front wheelwells was applied after the car was all assembled - but before the front wheels and tires were installed so that it would seal openings and joints.

This application often included a pass over the bottom of the fender to inner fender lip joint to seal it also

- Floor sound deadener (to the underside of floor pan) was applied after rearend and e brake hardware were in place but before exhaust and driveline. Factory sound deadener (as compared with under coating) does not cover the whole floor nor from one pinch weld to the other.

- The engine compartment black was sprayed up the firewall, across the cowl to the windshield opening

- Rear wheelwell sound deadener  was applied before exterior color with overspray and splatters onto the rear frame rail visible through the wheelwell opening. Just make the pattern make sense since we often see heavy applications to the wheelwell - with none on the frame rail directly behind that area. The beginning and or the end of the application wand would have started  or ended past the edge of the wheelwell

- Do you need seat belt sealant as well as quarter drop off sealant details also?

- When you get to planning on painting the body there are some tricky details as to how the large side molding ends were blacked out as well as the taillight panel black out.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »
i'm also following this closely, as I'm close to painting the bottom of my car ( a  9/30/69 Metuchen car ) Got a question, my car was originally slop grey on the underside ( almost a pink color), so would the underside of the front grame rails still  be red oxide ?   Thanks in advance,  John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:41:01 PM »
i'm also following this closely, as I'm close to painting the bottom of my car ( a  9/30/69 Metuchen car ) Got a question, my car was originally slop grey on the underside ( almost a pink color), so would the underside of the front grame rails still  be red oxide ?   Thanks in advance,  John

It would be very unusual if your car was batch color on the floor pans for that year and plant (don't think we've ever heard of any NJ car being done that way) instead you might be seeing a lighter version of the red oxide epoxy primer sealer. Some times the color can change due to exposure or other things - I suggest you find some drips and cut or sand through them, wet the surface and see what the unexposed color is

So the answer would be yes the front frame rails on the bottom - possibly a different tint or batch if they followed what was done most of the time at the other plants
Jeff Speegle

Offline mrfairlane

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Jeff, they should be useful for my project for reference over the next couple months..

Offline choppers

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »
I have a 70 Metuchen 8/25/69 built. After a full disassembly, mine has totally red oxide underside and interior floor pans up to under the dash. And, same as the pics, lots of sound deadener in wheel wells and under the car and above the differential.