Author Topic: Brake booster  (Read 2462 times)

Offline V8_bloke_28

Brake booster
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »
Hi,
I have a 67 fback gt 390 mustang and need a new booster and master.
I don't know what the original booster should be, midland or bendix?
Also the colour of the booster, master cylinder and cap?
Cheers

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

Re: Brake booster
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 05:27:36 PM »
Should be a midland booster, others will have to confirm on master and cap but think they are suppose to be black. Could depend on the build date and plant that is what others will know.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »
First of all - welcome. Do we have another new member from across the water? (one direction or the other :)

Current understanding/requirement is that the booster, master cylinder, cap, bale, attaching nuts, spacer and vacuum valve were all assembled as a unit then painted semi-gloss black then installed as a unit into the cars.

The type of unit may depend on what factory your car was assembled at (one of the reasons we ask everyone to include when and where their car was built ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:19:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:22:10 PM »
Being a late San Jose car it would have typically used a . Earlier in the year Ford had a problem with these so they recalled and replaced the vacuum valve on the front of the booster, then when that didn't work they recalled and replaced the booster. By the time your car was assembled the new and improved parts would have been installed at the San Jose plant.

Just a little related background

Picture shows your cars original style of booster - this one happens to be one that was made for use as part of the above mentioned recall/campaign

Jeff Speegle

Offline V8_bloke_28

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:03:07 AM »
So if my car is supposed to have a mainland booster, are new replica units available if so where from?
The booster that I took off doesn't have a clamp around it it's crimped together. Is that what a midland booster is like under the clamp?
Cheers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »
So if my car is supposed to have a mainland booster, are new replica units available if so where from?

Not aware of a reproduction so either a good used, used rebuilt unit or a NOS one would be the choices

The booster that I took off doesn't have a clamp around it it's crimped together. Is that what a midland booster is like under the clamp?

Yes that is the other supplier of boosters around the late 60's - you can't just add a clamp over the crimped seam - that I'm aware of
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 12:28:20 AM »
Just to add to Jeff's comments,the shape of the Midland booster is physically different from the Bendix booster. It is more then just the clamp on the Midland unit.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby