Author Topic: Brake warning light  (Read 2097 times)

Offline V8_bloke_28

Brake warning light
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:59:24 PM »
Hi,
I have a 67 fastback with standard interior and I have a chrome square light under the dash.
The lens is broken so I don't know if it shoul be the brake warning light or the seatbelt warning light?
What came out original?
Cheers

Online 67gta289

Re: Brake warning light
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »
The short answer is a seatbelt warning light.  The brake warning light is on the instrument cluster.  Both the standard and interior decor (aka deluxe) interior would have the same basic instrument cluster components, which includes a brake warning light, whether the car had drum or disk brakes.  The stand alone seatbelt warning, if equipped, would be a light with bezel mounted below the dash between the steering column and radio cutout.  I suppose that if the convenience control panel was ordered, which includes a seat belt warning light as one of the four lights, the stand alone unit mounted below the dash would not make sense.  My only other comment is that the seat belt warning light for 67 and 68 is not very prevalent in my observations.  I'm not sure what triggered the installation (deluxe belts, shoulder belts in 68, etc.) and, like other things, probably changed at least once during the model year and was different between the plants.  Sorry for the long post but it did cause me to wonder a bit.

Can you provide some more specifics, such as plant and build date, and whether you have the deluxe seat belt option (separate and distinct from the interior decor option).  Also if you have a Marti report and/or build sheet it would be interesting to see what clues are on that in regards to the warning light.  Thanks, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline sparky65

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
My car has deluxe belts and the seat-belt warning light.   From what I've read I think that's what decides if you get a warning light.  I am actually putting it back together right now as I just got the bezel back from the chrome place.  I actually was thinking about making a new lens for it but decided the old one was still good enough.  The way I was going to try to do it was to use transparencies you can print on.  First print a piece in red, might need 2 to make it opaque enough.  And then print the text with clear background on another pieces and stack them up with the text on the back.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Online jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 12:01:23 AM »
Follow the wiring, a seat belt warning light would go to a time delay relay which should be attached to a bracket on the lower LH side of the windshield wiper motor bracket. The light goes on when the ignition is turned on and goes off in 10 to 20 seconds of delay when the relay thermalcouple heats up. There is no electrical connection to the seat belts.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dave6768

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »
My 67 also has deluxe seat belts and the seat belt warning light.  I may have learned something new.

Online 67gta289

Re: seat belt warning light
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 05:12:12 PM »
I have the deluxe interior (interior decor), but with standard seat belts, and no seat belt warning light.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

Re: seat belt warning light
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:04:54 AM »
I have the deluxe interior (interior decor), but with standard seat belts, and no seat belt warning light.
I know it is strange that the deluxe belts did not come with a deluxe interior but was a stand alone option. Marty