Author Topic: 67-68 Rear Leaf C77A-AR Spring Clamp Eye Changeover  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: 67-68 Rear Leaf C77A-AR Spring Clamp Eye Changeover
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »
Jeff and Bob,

Remember that we are coming at this from two different ends. You guys will be judging our cars for correctness. When Bob states that "Jeff, I think you will find that the leaves that had the stamping cross ways were 67 and the leafs that were long ways were 68's maybe change happen in late 67 but I have typically found the long ways stamping on 68 production cars." that leaves us wondering if we have to change leaf springs due to our springs being incorrect or atypical.

I understand that it's hard to reply to these posts. There are so many details. So many plants and vendors.
So if a statement is made contrary to what's on my car I want to make sure I understand. My confusion is sometimes based on the weight of your words.

I truly appreciate what you guys do for the hobby ... and for my car.

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 05:58:30 PM »
Jeff and Bob,

Remember that we are coming at this from two different ends. You guys will be judging our cars for correctness. ..........

As for coming from two different ends - not sure if that is correct. We are both constantly involved in restoring, counseling and judging so I think we see both sides of the coin so to speak.

Though our comments may influence how we may judge a car the focus here (this site and most of its sections that is its intent)  is not the rules  - that is left for that section of the site - but instead how the cars were originally built.  One would automatically think they are two in the same but not always and there is often a laps or gap between the two its just part of the process. The discussions here can influence the other and often do and why these discussions have taken place for decades but with the internet and our willingness to discuss many of these points on a public forum others gets to see the process and the back and forth that takes place. This is IMHO one of the reasons I've supported good focused forums such as this and why many find the benefit of the same

How rules become the rules and their limitations is a discussion for another thread and could easily be compared to the making of sausage ;)

"Incorrect" and atypical are too very different things and something we deal with on a regular basis here on the forums as well as in restoring and judging and why we collectively have adopted and promoted practices that allow the introduction, discussion and documentation when these arise and how we handle them. Not every judge in every club have done the same but through the forums and in classes many have at least been exposed to the ideas and will (I believe) continue to see the wisdom in the practices and will adopt them over time as a great tool in these situations .

Sorry this can be confusing. Often everything does not translate well in the written word

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:01:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »
As for coming from two different ends - not sure if that is correct. We are both constantly involved in restoring, counseling and judging so I think we see both sides of the coin so to speak.

Though our comments may influence how we may judge a car the focus here (this site and most of its sections that is its intent)  is not the rules  - that is left for that section of the site - but instead how the cars were originally built.  One would automatically think they are two in the same but not always and there is often a laps or gap between the two its just part of the process. The discussions here can influence the other and often do and why these discussions have taken place for decades but with the internet and our willingness to discuss many of these points on a public forum others gets to see the process and the back and forth that takes place. This is IMHO one of the reasons I've supported good focused forums such as this and why many find the benefit of the same

How rules become the rules and their limitations is a discussion for another thread and could easily be compared to the making of sausage ;)

"Incorrect" and atypical are too very different things and something we deal with on a regular basis here on the forums as well as in restoring and judging and why we collectively have adopted and promoted practices that allow the introduction, discussion and documentation when these arise and how we handle them. Not every judge in every club have done the same but through the forums and in classes many have at least been exposed to the ideas and will (I believe) continue to see the wisdom in the practices and will adopt them over time as a great tool in these situations .

Sorry this can be confusing. Often everything does not translate well in the written word
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 07:24:17 PM »
Jeff and Bob,

Remember that we are coming at this from two different ends. You guys will be judging our cars for correctness. When Bob states that "Jeff, I think you will find that the leaves that had the stamping cross ways were 67 and the leafs that were long ways were 68's maybe change happen in late 67 but I have typically found the long ways stamping on 68 production cars." that leaves us wondering if we have to change leaf springs due to our springs being incorrect or atypical.

I understand that it's hard to reply to these posts. There are so many details. So many plants and vendors.
So if a statement is made contrary to what's on my car I want to make sure I understand. My confusion is sometimes based on the weight of your words.

I truly appreciate what you guys do for the hobby ... and for my car.
If there is something that is out of the ordinary from what I have seen as in the stamping on the spring the fall back of the date code indicates it is what it is.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby