Author Topic: 69 Mustang Color Help  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Burkett70

69 Mustang Color Help
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:09:27 AM »
Folks I'm at a loss, no color code on the door tag and the Marti says Special Paint color unknown. I thought I had it nailed down to a Tahoe Turquoise for Tbirds in 69, based on a visual match with the underside of the trunk before I primed the car.  After posting a few pictures some one indicated they thought my car was Maroon based on the inside door colors adn the floor pan.  I thought that was one of San Jose's red oxide colors.  What do you think?

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: 69 Mustang Color Help
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:16:46 AM »
Looks like royal maroon to me as well. This was obviously a color change but a good job as inside the trunk and door jamb areas are all blue. The fact that it's a special paint code and not the royal maroon code maybe it was changed at the plant?? I would look under the roof rail and trunk weatherstrips and see if that is blue as well because most repaints on the aftermarket do not go to that extent.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »
First welcome to the site and thanks for joining ;)

A couple of questions

- What plant was the car built at?

Have you looked behind the fake quarter vents (both sides) , A pillar rubber plugs and other "hidden locations" (similar to the path Chris mentioned in his post) ?

Notice that the interior light switch and trunk striker was not removed or masked off - IMHO more typical of a repaint

I find it odd that the interior appears to have been masked off - if repainted at plant but let's see where the findings lead us

BTW the interior color is difficult to determine from the pictures and some of the fleet colors (special order paint chips) are very similar to one another so the color might be a slight more purple than the regular maroon. OF course if you could find a small panel or part with the original reddish color Kevin or I could compare it to our color chip books to find some possible matches. That is what I did with the last special order paint San Jose Mach I had (sold it last year )

Have a similar story/finding but I would rather not lead the conversation but rather add to it later with those findings
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Burkett70

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 02:38:24 AM »
The car was built at the San Jose Plant with a June 2, 1969 build date.  I've attached a picture from last year after I pulled the vinyl top and sanded the car down prior to shooting it with primer. Yesterday I took a look a the old rear valance and the area behind the reverse lights on the valance is maroon, it is maroon behind the door striker-see photo, it is both blue and maroon behind the roof rail trim, it is maroon & blue and probably the purest look at the color on the body piece that goes under the lower grill trim.  I know I'm calling this maroon, but from every chart and photo of 69 Royal maroon this color doesn't have enough brown in it nor is it dark enough and of course I would have a code of "B" if it were.  I've looked over the 200 plus Ford colors for 69 and there is nothing like it that I can see.  What do you think?

Offline Burkett70

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 02:39:42 AM »
Pics

Offline Burkett70

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 02:42:11 AM »
Pics Part 2 It wouldn't let me do them all at once, sorry for the multiple posts.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 04:12:15 AM »
.............. I've looked over the 200 plus Ford colors for 69 and there is nothing like it that I can see.  What do you think?

A place to start but not the only place to look ;)

OF course this is not the way to match colors since we have a digital camera an dmy monitor settings (as well as everything in between) that likely will alter what I'm seeing but if I had to make a choice just based on what we have so far I would guess the color was WT 9805 Maroon Metallic  a color I found in my Special order paint selector book The version I have says it has 375 colors "based on historical usage  (orders) by major fleet accounts, volume paint gallonage, as well as broad spectrum color range to meet any reasonable need."

Because yours appears to be a special paint car I would guess that it original came without the remote painted racing mirrors but instead a single drivers side chrome remote

Hope this helps 
Jeff Speegle

Offline Burkett70

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 10:44:05 AM »
Jeff,
Seeing the color sample I'd say you're right on, strange color choice, but in 69 that was probably pretty neat.  Speaking of '69 I didn't see that color listed as a '69 color, but '71? Very possible my reference documentation is wrong:)  Have you seen any photos of a car painted with that color? If so send me the link if you could.

Rick

Offline Burkett70

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »
Yes, on the single mirror as well, still have it all in tact and the remote works...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »
Jeff,
Seeing the color sample I'd say you're right on, strange color choice, but in 69 that was probably pretty neat.  Speaking of '69 I didn't see that color listed as a '69 color, but '71?

Not a surprise the name is just a reference (the 71 color might be the same or not) since its my understanding that it would not be in the book I have if it was a Ford color that year.

Very possible my reference documentation is wrong:)  Have you seen any photos of a car painted with that color? If so send me the link if you could.

Since your car was a special order paint car and if it was not part of a bigger order (normally for a local or larger sales promotion) then the car is likely/possibly the only one painted that color we'll never know for sure. Don't recall seeing any that particular color (have seen a couple of more purple 69's)  so no place to send you to see one :( It was the same for the one I had.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Burkett70

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for all your help on that.  If you're ever in Vegas let me know and I'll buy you a coffee somewhere.   BTW-do you think keeping it that color does any great thing to value (not a high value car anyway) since there is not written documentation for the color?
Rick

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
...... BTW-do you think keeping it that color does any great thing to value (not a high value car anyway) since there is not written documentation for the color?

"Any great thing to the value"  IMHO no. Had about a half dozen of these and in general the special order paint may bring more interest (make your stand out in a crowd of cars for sale or at a show) and might sell a little quicker but I've not seen a great different in value. Now when paired with high demand options then there may be more anticipated value in those situations.

OF course any choose will reduce or expand the number of possibly buyers. They will always turn off a group of buyers while possibly make it more attractive to others ;)

Just my view of the situation 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:19:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 12:49:59 AM »
Jeff you have actually seen a REAL purple mustang?  Anybody know what happened to Tony Poppish  from CO.  had the horse of a different color newsletters sending out to members of special order paint cars.  I tried to contact him years ago with noluck but he was very active back in the 90s.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 02:36:53 AM »
Jeff you have actually seen a REAL purple mustang?

Only in pictures (stripped interior. undercarriage overspray) that owners have sent me

Anybody know what happened to Tony Poppish  from CO.  had the horse of a different color newsletters sending out to members of special order paint cars.  I tried to contact him years ago with noluck but he was very active back in the 90s.

Don't know - we use to communicate fairly often but would guess some family issue changed things or he simply got tired of maintaining the registry and publishing. Did a nice job on a regular basis unlike many registry
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »
Jeff are you talking about the 2 purple r-code 69 mach 1s I am helping on restoration & seen both of them in last 2 months the drag pack & cj with air cars or are their other 69 purple mustangs documented out there? That color purple (midnite orchid metallic) was only on 69 T-bird for 1 year.  Of cource we know there was ONLY ONE REAL PURPLE Shelby made in 69.