Author Topic: Assembly line trouble with Fastback deck lid hinges?  (Read 9377 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Assembly line trouble with Fastback deck lid hinges?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 05:34:21 PM »
Correct, the original passenger side hinge was damaged and although I kept it, I had to use a different hinge. The driver's side hinge is original.

Jeff, I do not understand what you've tried to describe above concerning modification of hinges. The hinges for each side of the car are uniquely shaped
and it's impossible to physically swap them to the opposite side of the trunk. I am 100% confident the hinge on the car is correct for the passenger side.
Note that not only do I have several other pairs of hinges to compare against, in addition to the date codes, each hinge is stamped "L" and "R". :-)

More in respect to Brian's post about using and or modifying a coupe/convertible hinge to work on a fastback

Will try and measure some passenger side 67 trunk hinge arms this week when I go to the shop. Think they have 6-8 in right now for body work
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 09:27:56 PM »
Thanks Jeff, pictures would be great, especially detail of each hinge and the torsion bar.  :)

Offline Angela

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 05:41:51 PM »
OK, this, IMO, is really cool. After searching Google images forever, I gave up and tried Bing.com -->images. I found another 1967 fastback and you can clearly see that the passenger side deck lid hinge has TWO holes in it, just like I'm seeing with mine.

Further, as shown in this photo of someones fastback,  the forward-most torsion bar hole is being used..... which is 3/4" further forward than the location drilled/punched into hinges which only have one hole. Additionally, just as I see occurring in my car, you can see in this photo that when this forward hole is used, the torsion bar appears bent as it passes left to right across the bottom of the deck lid.

I didn't photoshop this..... use Bing.com with search string "1967 mustang fastback trunk hinge"     

OR image can be found at http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/photogallery6/1967-mustang-fastback-2-plus-2-trunk.cfm

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »
I had a chance to take some pictures of a 67 Fastback deck lid hinge/torsion bar today.  Brian
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:04:28 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Angela

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
Awesome, thanks Brian!!! Another piece of evidence that suggests hinges with both one and two torsion bar holes was indeed used. :-)

I notice that your car uses the forward-most hole in the passenger side hinge, yet the torsion bar doesn't appear to bow very much from the center bracket (screwed to the middle of the underside of the deck lid) to the passenger side. Very nice.

Thanks again!

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 10:52:58 PM »
Not my car.  Saw the car at a show in Coronado today and the owner was happy to let me take some pictures.  He did mention that the torsion bar was a bit  difficult to install.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 12:13:34 AM »
Did check at the shop the other day unfortunately they are all apart so no pictures of hinges with rods in place :(  All had single holes in the passenger side hinge - and one was using 68 hinges

As for shots with the trunk lid opened - here is what I've got - non Shelby for 67

Hope it helps in some way

Jeff Speegle

Offline Angela

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 06:44:34 PM »
In the many pictures, above, I see both painted and non-painted trunk latch & strikers. Which is correct?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
In the many pictures, above, I see both painted and non-painted trunk latch & strikers. Which is correct?

Both unplated - galvanized (following added) latch and bright/silver zinc striker
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:13:33 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 11:03:19 PM »
Both unplated - galvanized

Agree that the latch was typically galvanized, but the striker is usually plain zinc plated.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 01:12:29 AM »
Agree that the latch was typically galvanized, but the striker is usually plain zinc plated.

Sorry for the mis information - too much typing and not taking my time - Post corrected (my mistake fo the day/week/month - whatever :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline Satellite

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2018, 06:31:07 AM »
So, I have a ‘67 Fastback that I purchased a short time ago that was restored long before my purchase. The deck lid does not even try to stay up when I open it. There is no tension whatsoever when in the open position. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Online ruppstang

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 09:41:59 AM »
The torsion rod could be installed incorrectly or has lost its tension. This design was not the best when new. I believe that is why the 68s were a new design.
A picture could possibly help us help you. 

Offline Satellite

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 10:50:00 AM »
The torsion rod could be installed incorrectly or has lost its tension. This design was not the best when new. I believe that is why the 68s were a new design.

Thanks for the reply. I will get a couple of pics and post them. Will look forward to any thoughts or suggestions.

Offline Satellite

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2018, 12:38:53 PM »

Some pics are attached