Author Topic: How to paint flange around windshield and back glass  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Turnbacktheclock

How to paint flange around windshield and back glass
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »
I hesitate to post this on the concours forum because I am asking for advice on what will probably be viewed as a substandard solution to the problem at hand. But I have a lot of respect for the members here and I can think of no better place to ask for help.  I am stuck trying to decide how to move forward on painting the mounting flange for the windshield and back glass. I want to do a good job without over thinking it.

Glass and sealant has been removed. I need to repaint this area because some of the original paint was removed while cleaning off the sealant. Also the trim around the windshield and back glass was masked for the last paint job and the edge where the new paint meets the old is bad. Some peeling , flaking and spots where windshield sealant was painted over. As a result I have sanded the flange area to prepare for painting.

I am not prepared to repaint the whole car at this time. Maybe in a couple years but right now it is not an option. As a result I need to paint the flange area and blend it into the adjacent black top coat. It does not have to be perfect as the trim will cover much of it up but I do want to do an adequate job (under the circumstances) and make sure the paint protects the area from corrosion. I don't want to strip the area completely down to bare metal if I don't need to.

Am not sure what the car was most recently painted with. What ever it is, it is pretty thin; maybe .002 to .003 thick. It doesn't soften in lacquer thinner and I don't think it has a clear coat on top. What ever I use as a top coat I need to be able to color sand it in order to blend in with the existing paint. 

I am trying to determine what paint to use and how to proceed.
What kind of primer should I use? ( epoxy, urethane, polyester, 1K, 2K, POR15)
Do I need a sealer?
What kind of top coat? (urethane, polyester, 1K, 2K)

I have attached a couple of pictures. The red primer was brushed on to provide short term protection of bare metal and is just temporary. It will be clean off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

66 GT SJ Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: How to paint flange around windshield and back glass
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »
I would sand down, tape and use an epoxy primer to seal the metal.  Then apply either an acrylic enamel or single stage urethane.  No need to bother with base/clear unless you are blending large areas.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Turnbacktheclock

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:38:31 PM »
Charles,
Do I need to sand it all down to bare metal before applying epoxy or can I paint epoxy over the existing paint after going over it with say 60 grit?

Thanks,

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »
No, you don't need to go to bare metal.  Think you can get away with 80 grit if using PPG DP primer.  As long as you topcoat within 24 hours, should not have to sand the primer before applying paint.  You might want to back-tape before spraying color though.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin