Author Topic: Steering Column Removal  (Read 3025 times)

Offline koski19

Steering Column Removal
« on: August 03, 2013, 12:31:10 AM »
My turn with a question. I spent this afternoon removing front brakes and suspension. I now need to remove the steering column from the gear box. 1966 Coupe 6 cylinder w/ power steering.
How's it accomplished?

Jeff

Offline NEFaurora

Re: Steering Column Removal
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 01:04:34 AM »

On '65- Early '67, The gearbox and column rod are considered one-piece for removal.  You have to first remove the outer steering column from the interior side, then 2nd, remove the gearbox and inner rod as one-piece from below.  You have to really jack up the front of the car real high to do it, but you can do it.  It's best to use an automotive lift to remove the gearbox and rod if you can get access to one.  It makes it so much easier.  That's why they call it the spear-o-matic...because its all one-piece... It's also why, when people know that they are upgrading the steering column to an aftermarket unit, They just cut the rod...to make removal easier..

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 01:37:22 AM »
My turn with a question. I spent this afternoon removing front brakes and suspension. I now need to remove the steering column from the gear box. 1966 Coupe 6 cylinder w/ power steering.
How's it accomplished?
Jeff
Jeff,
Get a 66 Comet, Falcon, Fairlane and Mustang Shop Manual. Section 3-3 is dedicated to manual steering. Unless you have replacement bearings and replacement balls I would not recommend opening the box. That section does cover adjustments. If your steering box is too badly worn, find a used replacement or send yours out for a rebuild.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline koski19

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:10:33 AM »
Jeff,
Get a 66 Comet, Falcon, Fairlane and Mustang Shop Manual. Section 3-3 is dedicated to manual steering. Unless you have replacement bearings and replacement balls I would not recommend opening the box. That section does cover adjustments. If your steering box is too badly worn, find a used replacement or send yours out for a rebuild.
Jim

Hey Jim,

I do have the service manual mentioned and looked at the section, but didn't quite understand it. That's why I asked. I have the coupe down to the unibody. The gearbox, steering column is the last piece to be removed. I believe that the gearbox is worn out and needs rebuild. There's just too much play in the steering wheel. Know of a rebuilder? I haven't yet checked locally.

jeff

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »

On '65- Early '67, The gearbox and column rod are considered one-piece for removal.  You have to first remove the outer steering column from the interior side,....................

Tore a number of headliners doing it that way - so be careful if that is your method of choice. I rather unbolt it from the dash, wrap the head of it in a towel so that it does not stain the drivers seat as it comes down to contact it, them unbolt the box (pittman arm already detached). Slip the steering box out, then remove the column if needed.

Just me ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)