Author Topic: center console courtesy light 66 Mustang  (Read 6670 times)

Offline mwizz

center console courtesy light 66 Mustang
« on: August 04, 2013, 04:49:23 AM »
Hi, just wondering if the courtesy light in the center console is supposed to come on when either door is opened. Currently my light comes on when the drivers door is opened but both of my door courtesy lights work. My center console light will not come on when the passenger door is open.

Offline jwc66k

Re: center console courtesy light 66 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »
What you described should not happen. When either door is open, power is supplied to both under dash courtesy lights and the console's rear courtesy lights (and the console glove box light as well in 64 and early 65 full length consoles). The courtesy lights should also come on via the head lamp switch when it's rotated counter clockwise past full instrument lights bright.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »
If its an original 66 console (light attached to the top of the console) then the light comes on when the door is open (door provides the grounding for the light). IF the door is not open - no ground for the light

For the earlier style console the light (attached in a housing to the rear of the console) the light is operated by the headlight switch being rotated to the point where the interior lights come on.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mwizz

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:02:31 AM »
Thanks for your responses. I did not know that the lights turn on when the headlight switch is rotated so that was good to learn.

My car is a 66 convertible with air con so it does not have a compartment.

Both door courtesy lights come on when each individual door is open.
When  I sit in the car and rotate the headlight switch as described in your responses above the passenger side door courtesy light does not come on - but the drivers side comes on and the rear center console light also comes on.
So I appear to have a problem with the passenger side wiring.

Mark

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »
Make sure that you have a good bulb in the drivers side.

Offline mwizz

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »
Thanks Richard, both drivers side and passenger side bulbs work - would a bulb cause an issue with the bulb on the other side even if both worked individually?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 08:33:16 PM »
Thanks Richard, both drivers side and passenger side bulbs work - would a bulb cause an issue with the bulb on the other side even if both worked individually?

Sorry I missed the fact that you we're looking at the rear light rather than the compartment

Don't believe that the lights are wired in series and don't believe one side effects the other unless it was completely grounding out the system. If one side is working that would not be the case
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 01:25:12 AM »
Jeff is correct, the wiring is in parallel (if that means anything to you!) not in series. There are two wires in the system. They both are paired off of the headlight switch. They are black w/blue stripe (wire #53 in the '66 schematic) and green w/yellow stripe (wire #54 in the '66 schematic). There should be two of each sharing a a connection on the headlight switch connector, e.g. a pair of black/blue sharing one connection on the H/L switch, a pair of green/yellow sharing another connection at the H/L switch. The one green/yellow wire initially comes off of the fuse panel (and is always hot) prior to headlight switch. The black/blue wire is hot only when the H/L switch is rotated CCW. The green/yellow also supplies power to the glove box light. Seen any strange issues there also? You probably haven't even looked there, but you should. I'd be willing to bet you're getting something strange with it too!

One point to check first....ensure BOTH wires are plugged into the door jamb switches. Only the black/blue wire feeds the console lights. If you had a full length console, only the green/yellow supplies the storage compartment light. Since both of these wires are power wires you can trace them down with a meter. Just find a good ground for your black meter lead and then start checking wiring with the red meter lead. The most useful thing you could do is remove the headlight switch and let it hang down under the dash WITH the connector still attached. You can then check physical wire connections AND electrical connections. You can also unplug the door jamb switches and check power coming into each lead. Use caution you don't let them contact the body when unplugged. Remember, The green/yellow will be hot all the time. The black/blue will only be hot with the H/L switch turned CCW. Hope that helps you with a starting point.

'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline mwizz

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:50:58 AM »
Thanks very much for that information. It is very useful and I can now check out some further things such as the glove box light.

Offline mwizz

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 10:08:26 AM »
Success, took the glove box insert out tonight and found a black wire with blue stripe that had been cut with some electrical tape over the end. I wired this up to the wire going to the light switch and all works now. Both door courtesy lights and rear console light now light up when either door is open.

I also found what appears to be a passenger side footwell light just to the side of the glove box next to the kick panel which I didn't know existed. I now need to find out what type of bulb it takes. Pic below. Can anyone please advise what bulb this takes.

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
NPD lists the bulb as U-L631.

Offline mwizz

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 08:33:10 PM »
Excellent thanks Ivygreen

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 12:40:39 AM »
Glad you found the problem!  :D