Author Topic: fuel pumps  (Read 9084 times)

Offline Bill Cabaniss

fuel pumps
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:39:29 AM »
 I would like to know the current thinking on fuel pumps for concours driven. The rules state: carter replacement allowed in place of original CARbureTER. I have checked several sources on fuel pumps and could not find a carter brand replacement. Are we allowing any brand that resembles the original look of the carter?  My 66 fuel pump started leaking saturday where the metal bottom crimps around the aluminum top. It will need to be replaced, but I do want a pump that retains an original appearance. My 68 has an original carter blue dot button top pump but I doubt that anyone has ever seen it because of the a/c and power steering covering it up. The 66 is in plain sight with no accessories blocking it. I would appreciate anybody that could point me in the proper direction for an appropriate pump for the 66/289-2v. Thanks, Bill.
Highland green 68 GT fastback/concours driven since 2000. 8f02j - 1-23-68
raven black 66 coupe/concours driven since 1991.6f07c- 5-14-66
rangoon red 65 Mustang JR. go-cart serial#02. not driven much.
Still drive them to the nationals/they do clean up! 
Gold card judge for 67-68 concours class.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: fuel pumps
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »
5F09C331248

Offline Bill Cabaniss

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:47:36 PM »
 That was a long but interesting thread about fuel pumps. It was good to see someone go to that much effort to save alot of original pumps. thanks for finding that and posting it.
  My problem right now is that I need  pump very soon. I hope someone here knows where I can get a pump that closely resembles a carter or a carter replacement like the rules say. Bill.

Offline Scott302

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:39:46 PM »
Bill,
I do not recall when Carter dropped the "CARbureTER" logo but for many years after they produced pumps with the "Carter" name on them.  This is what the rules refer to.  Carter produced these pumps into the mid-90's or so when they "consolidated" the product line.  What you ended up with were marine pumps replacing automotive pumps so they could kill to birds with one stone.  They still had the logo but they also had extra ports on them.  About 5-6 years ago Carter started buying pumps from an outside supplier and they no longer had the Carter name on them.  In order to find an acceptable "Carter" logo pump you'll need to find older production somewhere.
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline Bill Cabaniss

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:12:40 PM »
 Scott, I have been doing internet searches this morning. I found a supplier (no names yet), that says they have original style pumps made by carter, the original supplier of pumps to ford. I ordered one and it will be here by friday. I will examine it and report back. I will keep searching until then just in case. Thank you for the information Scott. Bill.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »
Believe we will find that the change over from CARburaTER to CARTER was during 68 production.
Last year Charles found the CARTER cast pump shown below with the dated box and  Tim brought this up last year when he was finding some 68 small blocks (dated correctly to 68) with the later printing.  It appears that they continued to use bot the new and old mould to produce fuel pumps (based on dated main bodies) into 69

Thimble design was used on both (except of course the high performance rebuildable styles)

Earlier Carburater style

12/67 Dated (packaged) CARTER pump

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 04:28:26 AM »
Dearborn classics have Carter Fuel pumps.
I purchased one for my 64 Galaxie some time ago

Please check their website if suitable for your application.
www.dearbornclassics.com

Hopefully this is of help
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline Bill Cabaniss

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 07:24:20 AM »
 Jeff, thanks for the explanation on the pump dates. My 68 has the pump in the bottom picture on it. Been running it for 10 years now. Hope it keeps pumping. I still have the exact same box like in the picture also. I hope the pump I have coming is suitable for my 66. We'll see, we'll see. The pump photo's are great, Thanks, Bill.
  GD64, thanks for the link, I have added it to my list to check out if what I have coming doesn't work out. Bill.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 08:45:11 AM »
Its not just a matter of when but more of where. After studying these exhaustively recently (this pertains to small blocks) I found that in every case (mostly NJ and SJ cars, couple Dearborn) the 68 assembly line pumps say "Carter USA" on the casting. The 69 pumps (pretty good sampling from all plants) say "CARbureTER made in canada" so it appears the canadian Carter plant used that casting beyond the US plant. The pumps were identical in every other way and the dates always matched which year the housing went to. This info doesn't apply to service parts as I don't have info as to where those are supplied from. It should be noted however that all are the button top variety and that is what the driven exemption is catering to that that class can have the carter replacement style without the button or thimble top.
Tim
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bill Cabaniss

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »
 A number of years back a judge took  points from my 66 at a national for, and I quote "no hump on da pump". The current carter replacement pump will most likely not have a hump on da pump. If it is a carter pump in a carter box it would meet the rule requirement as a carter replacement, just missing it's hump. As rare as button top pumps are to find, just to be able to send off to get rebuilt ,I can only hope other judges will be lenient on us driven cars with our missing "humps". IMHO, Bill.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 10:43:44 AM »
The way the rules are written, we accept "CARTER" fuel pumps, no matter if they have the hump or not.  I usually will write a note if the car doesn't have the hump, but not take off for it.

With Fred Ballard restoring original pumps compatible with today's fuels, I think we might end up seeing less leniency towards the non-hump versions.  Remember the goal here... try to get the car looking as close as possible to original.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bill Cabaniss

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 03:14:56 PM »
 Thank you Charles. You mentioned that fred was rebuilding pumps that are compatible with todays fuels. It has me wondering if other people are having fuel related problems with their cars from the new ethanol blends. In the last year I have lost both of my ford sending units in my cars and had to replace them. I have a pump leaking at the seam, and both of my carbs had started seeping some fuel also. I rebuilt the carbs last week and cured the problem . Before I retired a few years ago I built carburetors for a living for many years. I still have people calling me for work  and alot of it is for fuel leaks. I am curious if other people are having problems related to the new fuel blends. Do you know what Fred is doing different to the pumps to compensate.  Bill.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »
I don't know the particulars, but assume the rubber diaphragm would be made of materials resistant to the new(er) gasoline blends.  Would be best to contact him directly though the hi-po mustang forum.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline douglemmo

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 09:56:50 AM »
Hi,
I have read all of the posts and links and was hoping to come up with a supplier for the correct 1966, 289, 2V fuel pump.  I too lost points at the last concourse I attended.  During my restoration, I got a replacement fuel pump from one of the large Mustang supply houses and mistakenly thought it would be "correct".  I am now wiser, but still do not know where I can get a pump that won't cost me points and also will stand up to the new fuels we have to use.  The pump that came with the car is long since gone.   Can anybody help steer me in the right direction?
Thanks
Doug

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 12:40:56 PM »
Hi,
I have read all of the posts and links and was hoping to come up with a supplier for the correct 1966, 289, 2V fuel pump. ...................

Doug its not as easy (often isn't in these endeavours) to just call up a business and buy one of many they have sitting new on the shelf. Two choices 0 find a NOS one on EBay or from an ad on a forum, Find one in a wrecking or salvage yard on an old motor or purchase a used one. In the the last or all of these possibilities you can then send it out to be rebuilt to assure it will handle all the nasty new fuels that they currently force most of us to use.

Not always easy but that just makes the end result more rewarding ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)