Author Topic: Engine date code  (Read 1451 times)

Offline twister428

Engine date code
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:38:39 AM »
Does anybody know the origin of the 2 dots under an engine date code and what they mean?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine date code
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:26:11 AM »
I'm guessing your referring to the casting date rather than the assembly date. Believe it didn't "mean" anything other than it was a running change/pattern incorporated at the casting plants after a particular time as we see it on third member housings also. Think it was first seen/used in 69 - may have just helped in the orientation for reading the numbers right side up but its usage does not seem consistent (have it on some 69 castings and others without)

Example have a May 69 date with the dots and a October 69 without

Third member example with dots

And a FE block

351 (Dec 1970 Without dots

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline twister428

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
Thanks for the input. What you say varifies what I always thought.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 08:33:56 PM »
Received a PM that referenced a comment from a generic Muscle car book suggesting that the dots and no dots related to different shifts. Not clear what car manufacturer they were referring to (writers included a Galaxies and a Pontiac restorer) and the text referred to singel and double dots. Never heard of single dots on a Ford cast part so maybe the reference was related to non- Ford built cars.

At this point a single unconfirmed reference - the search for complete understanding continues ;)
Jeff Speegle

Online jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 12:24:01 AM »
There is a possibility that the dots indicate a "9" as opposed to a "6". Remember, the guy putting them in the mold was looking at the mirror image.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:27:27 PM »
There is a possibility that the dots indicate a "9" as opposed to a "6". Remember, the guy putting them in the mold was looking at the mirror image.
Jim

That was a thought until you find the double dots under the 0 (for example) representing a 1970 cast part ;)

Jeff Speegle