Author Topic: '65 A/C install -- Hose issue  (Read 8694 times)

Offline 65pon

'65 A/C install -- Hose issue
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »
Hey Guys,

I'm installing original type a/c into my 65 289 Fastback.
Some years ago I bought 4 or 5 underdash units and built one using the best looking parts.
All the surplus parts have been sold off, and I'm left with a nice looking a/c unit.

My problem is that the suction hose (thicker of the two)  I kept is 2-4" too short.
Keep in mind this could have come from a 66 or 6cyl car, although I believe 6cyl hoses would be much longer, not shorter...
Here is a pic:

Does anyone know the hose lengths?   I'm happy to order a new hose from one of the parts houses, but I'd like to be sure it's going to be longer than the one I have and the problem isn't a result of and installation error.   I can't imagine what could have gone wrong as it's nearly impossible o install the underdash unit or compressor in the wrong location! :)

Does anyone know the hose lengths so I can identify the one I currently have?

Many thanks,
Ben.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:30:14 AM by 65pon »

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Re: '65 A/C install -- Hose issue
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
If I still had my '65 I would gladly measure the hose length and report back but as I don't, hopefully someone can answer your question. If not, I've called parts houses in the past whenever I was unsure whether ordering a replacement would end up being the same; they were always happy to check for me...usually they'll take your number and call back.

There are other possibilities as the '65 hoses attached to the far left of the under-dash unit, (facing it), where as the '66 had the hoses in the center. I wonder if you may have a '66 unit with a '65 hose or possibly an A/C unit from a different model and/or year Ford. Also, if your car did not have A/C originally, did you come through the firewall in the correct place. Unfortunately, I know just enough about some of the differences, but certainly not all, that I could be barking up the wrong tree.

I live about 30 minutes from a supplier; I'll be going there over the next day or two to see if the transmission vacuum line I need matches the damaged one I have. I'll have them bring me a hose to measure and email the details unless someone has already provided you with the correct information.

Post pictures of your car...I'm always interested in other peoples rides. I have posted my current project in the Gallery; 90 photos so far and just got started, (posting that is). There's another great post there as well of a convertible on a rotisserie that I really like.

All the best.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:51:05 PM »
I measured a reproduction hose at Dallas Mustang today; it's 52" from the ends of the fittings.
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline 65pon

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:55:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply Ray.
However the plot thickens :)

The suction fitting on my compressor is a 5/8" flare fitting. I have confirmed this by screwing a known 5/8" flare nut. This rogue hose has a flare fitting also, but it's much smaller that 5/8", it's actually just a bit too small to screw onto a 1/2" fitting, but much bigger that 3/8".  I'm baffled.

I'll just order a new hose, that's no problem, but I need to know what size fitting they have at the compressor end.
I don't know what size fittings they used on the compressor in '65, but mine is 5/8"

Does anyone know what size fitting the 65 v8 suction hose has at the compressor?

Thanks! 

Offline 65pon

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:56:09 PM »
I measured a reproduction hose at Dallas Mustang today; it's 52" from the ends of the fittings.

THANK YOU!
I'm just about to remove mine to measure it.

Offline 65pon

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:59:53 PM »

I've removed mine and it's only 37".
If it were 40" it would be a tight, straight line fit, so the proper one has a foot of slack built into it.
Great, thank you.

As for the fittings..

My compressor fitting is 0.8675" across the threads:

The 37" hose has the same fittings at each end.  They fit the evaporator, but are too small for the compressor:

I now know my hose is much too short.

I know the fitting at the evap is correct however.

So there are 2 possible scenarios:

1.  the proper 52" hose has a different size fitting at each end and will fit my evap and compressor.

2.  the 52" hose has both same size fittings like my 37" hose,so I need a new 52" hose AND a new rotoloc fitting for the compressor.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 10:05:53 PM »
Do your hoses connect to the side of the evaporator case?  As you know, there are variations of the cases.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 65pon

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »
I think I just answered my own question..

The NPD catalog lists rotoloc valves and states that '65-66 use 2x #8 size fittings.
67-68 use a #8 and a #10

I'm guessing the fitting on my compressor is a #10 and this is the root of my problems.

Now looking for a chart to confirm thread dimensions of #8, #10 etc...

phew!

Offline 65pon

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »
Do your hoses connect to the side of the evaporator case?  As you know, there are variations of the cases.

Yes Charles. at the LH end.

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 07:06:24 PM »
I have a factory hose that came off a low mile 64 1/2 that measures 36",
do you have a picture of the back of your evaporator? Maybe your evaporator
came from another Ford application that was different enough so your
hose won't reach.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline 65pon

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 07:18:41 PM »
I don't, but I'll get one tonight and post it up here.

Here is the front.
At one time I had a collection of these. All looked the same from the front, but one had the condensate drain in the center at the rear and some other differences I don't recall, so there are definitely some oddballs out there.
I kept this one thinking it was a Mustang unit, but I'm no expert.   
The suction hose could have come from any one of the units (and therefore another model Ford) as I assembled the best looking parts into this unit I kept.

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 09:12:33 PM »
Here are some pictures of a 65 Mustang evaporator I have for spare parts.
The same basic unit was used in different Ford models back then, Fairlane,
Falcon etc. with some changes for the different models, drain hole location,
brackets to dash, evaporator fitting location and other items.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline 65pon

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »
Thanks C5ZZ.  Unfortunately for some reason I cannot view pics that others upload to the forum.  They only show correctly when hosted externally at sites such as photobucket.

Here is the left side of my under dash unit.  Is this what a typical Mustang unit looks like?  Please ignore the ugly foam insulating wrap :)

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
That looks to be correct like the pictures I posted of mine.
How about the holes in the firewall for the hoses, where
are they located? If the holes are too high up then you
would lose hose length or if the evaporator is not back
far enough toward the firewall that could do it as well.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline 65pon

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
I used the oval knockout in the firewall and mounted it using the existing holes in the underside of the dash panel.
There's no hose length being wasted between the unit and the firewall, it's an almost direct route.

I've ordered a new hose and rotolock service fittings from NPD.  It will be here in a week or ten days.  Hopefully it will be 52" and not 36-37"!