Author Topic: Fastener Size vs Part # in Assembly Manual  (Read 1633 times)

Offline EriksI6

Fastener Size vs Part # in Assembly Manual
« on: March 06, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
Oops - So between me and my 10yr old "helper" we are dissembling my 65 coupe and have not been diligent about labeling fasteners as we pull things apart. This is the second time the car is coming apart (went through it about 20yrs ago and I still kick my self for tossing things I pulled off or painted over markings) When I look at the body assembly manual I see a fender needs 378156-S2 screw and washer, so what thread size is this???? Anybody have a cross reference table?? I want to get organized before anything else gets pulled apart.

Offline Ivygreen65

Re: Fastener Size vs Part # in Assembly Manual
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »
I would suggest getting AMK's catalog.  It does have a cross reference, pictures of the fasteners, and pictures of the various finishes (i.e. S2)

BTW, 378156-S2 is a 5/16-18x15/16  1/2AF   .88 external with an S2 (phosphate & oil) finish. 

I would suggest that you carefully note what the head markings and washer tooth type for each location that you remove bolts from.  While the Osborn manuals are a good resource to use, they are not always exactly correct for every manufacturing plant or build date. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »
AMK sells a Guide to Ford Fasteners 1955-73 that will cross reference the Ford number to a physical decription
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 08:56:49 PM »
AMK sells a Guide to Ford Fasteners 1955-73 that will cross reference the Ford number to a physical decription
+1 on that!  Together with Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalog (July 1966), these are the two best guides to fastener size, description, and finish.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com