Author Topic: Clip at Speedo Cable at XMEMBER: rubber coated?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Angela

Clip at Speedo Cable at XMEMBER: rubber coated?
« on: April 13, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »
Is the clip holding the speedo cable to the crossmember supposed to be coated in rubber? Heres a pic of my original (top) which doesn't definitively show signs of originally having rubber on it, shown next to another clip which clearly does have a rubber coating.
Should this clip have a rubber coating? Or just painted black given that the speedo cable already has a protective outter jacket?

Offline Angela

Re: Clip at Speedo Cable at XMEMBER: rubber coated?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »
Besides not knowing if this clip should have a rubber coating, I am also wondering if there's a trick to reinstalling an original clip so that it will hold (i.e. I think these were intended to be used once and only once). Advice? I'm wondering if a few taps from a hammer and a punch to the tab on the clip would do the trick???

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »
Don't believe I've ever seen ones insulated

As far as getting them to stay - two small screw drivers inserted and spread in opposite direction. Similar clips in other areas where the other side fo the panel can be reached can simply be spread on the top side while someone holds the clip tight into the hole
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »
Half way down the page within this thread there's a post by "ruppstang" with a picture of the clip I am asking about and it is shown to be rubber coated.
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5206.msg29204#msg29204

Ruppstang indicates that clip is available from NPD and I am familiar with the NPD part.... IMO it's too large, both in dia and length as compared to originals. However, I am first just trying to confirm the rubber coating is correct.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »
On a new clip (379816-S32), the retaining part as it's installed looks like the letter "M" and the sides of the "M" are tight against the center of the "M". With the speedometer cable in the loop, insert the "M" into the hole on the cross member and push the center of the "M" with a small diameter drift (a hammer to persuade the action helps) or something else that will fit in there which will spread the upper part of the "M" and keep it in the hole. And no, it is not supposed to be rubber coated. The -S32 a green or black ceramic finish to withstand a salt spray test, although I can't imagine why you would need a "salt" proof part  ;)
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »
Thanks for installation tip. I'm hoping I can reuse the original clip even though the "M" as you call it is a bit deformed.

So, if it's not supposed to be rubber coated, are you stating the NPD part is just a repro part that works, yet isn't correct?