Author Topic: 1967-68 Safety Convenience System - Application, Components, Wiring, Lenses and Bulbs  (Read 41777 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Richard : I believe that the 2 attachments might answer your question. The way I read it, the change from "backlit" to Front Lettered occurred 12/01/66, and the change to all Red Lenses occurred 05/15/67.

Since you have a complete harness "loose" right now, there are a couple of dimensions you may be able to help with (possibly more later). Neither John nor I have an original Low Fuel Light "proof circuit" black wire. In addition, I do not have the Red pigtail for it that goes through the Firewall, and John's is installed. Could you be so kind as to measure the length of the Black wire (between the end connectors) that runs from the Red pigtail to the Starter side of the Starter Relay, and the length of the Red pigtail from the Low Fuel Relay plug to its bullet connector, and the location of the firewall grommet ? Also, could you confirm the connector on the firewall end of the black wire ; the Assembly Manual and wiring diagrams show it as a 1 x 2 female bullet connector, yet all of the ones John has pictures of ate a 1 x 3 female bullet connector.

Thanks for your help.
Bob

See reply # 78 and attached images to see if it helps. There are the measurements and images of mine before doing any repairs, should be most if not all of the answers to your questions, I drew up a sketch with all of these lengths. The only measurement I do not recall taking is how far back the grommet at the firewall is from the male bullet. The long-version of the "proof wire" had a single wire to 3, like John said.

Upon edit, I see the long proof wire is not there but I am sure I measured it for Keith at one time so look at my replies to anything Keith (aka 8 Barrel) may have asked.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:54:17 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Interestingly, many of the Cougars have the convenience system built in to their harnesses.  As for the proof-out wire, all of them that I have seen and have in my collection are embedded in the headlight harness, and the wire is red.  This is the only difference between the Mustang and Cougar headlight harnesses.  So...if you are searching for a rare Mustang headlight harness with this proof-out wire, consider obtaining the Cougar version. 

I cannot confirm this statement; it is true regarding the 1969 Cougars.  None of my prior work nor inventory show a low fuel power line for 67/68 Cougar headlight harnesses.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:47:26 PM by midlife »
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline ruppstang

As far as I know the Mustang proof out wire was a single wire out side of the headlight harness.

Offline 67gtasanjose

Interestingly, many of the Cougars have the convenience system built in to their harnesses.  As for the proof-out wire, all of them that I have seen and have in my collection are embedded in the headlight harness, and the wire is red.  This is the only difference between the Mustang and Cougar headlight harnesses.  So...if you are searching for a rare Mustang headlight harness with this proof-out wire, consider obtaining the Cougar version. 
As far as I know the Mustang proof out wire was a single wire out side of the headlight harness.
My take away from Randy is the wire can be extracted from a Cougar harness
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 196667Bob

+1

My take away from Randy is the wire can be extracted from a Cougar harness

The only problem with "extracting" it, is that it will be the wrong color. Randy noted that it is Red in the Cougar harness, but the single wire in the Mustangs is Black.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
+1

The only problem with "extracting" it, is that it will be the wrong color. Randy noted that it is Red in the Cougar harness, but the single wire in the Mustangs is Black.

Bob
Paint it Black, you devils...Paint it Black...

Offline jwc66k

Paint it Black, you devils...Paint it Black...
Use black liquid electrical tape. It's available at Home Depot, Star Bright brand.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
Guys: I'm going to have to retract this statement.  I went through my inventory and previous 67/68 Cougars, and none of the headlight harnesses have this low fuel power line.  I did find, however, that my 69 Cougars did have a red wire and ring connector embedded in the headlight harness, so that is what I must have been thinking. 

I'm so sorry if I led anyone astray.  I'll modify my original post.

Offline ruppstang

That makes sense, I was surprised that Ford would have included the wire for Cougar and not Mustang even though far more Cougars had the Safety Convenience System. 

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
It may well be included in the 67/68 Cougars; I simply have not run across a headlight harness that should include that low fuel power line as yet. 

1967 eight barrel

Below is the picture of the connector measurements and the connector itself.. The black lead from the solenoid is 50% larger in diamter than the red wire with the bullet connector.

Black wire .145
Red wire .103

-Keith
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:50:40 AM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline stangman39

Hi all,

New here but have been on many other forums.
I just read thru this whole thread!  Tons of excellent info, thanks for all who put in the time.
Over the years I've had a few 67 Stangs with the CCG but not until just recently do I have one that is 100% complete!!
I know so far all the lights work except the low fuel (still trying to find the time to test it).
My parking brake light lens is cracked so I'll have to hunt a correct replacement for it (that won't break the bank!).
I have an early 67 so my lights are the 2 red and 2 blue.  They are in the console since I have factory AC.

Offline 67gtasanjose

Hi all,

New here but have been on many other forums.
I just read thru this whole thread!  Tons of excellent info, thanks for all who put in the time.
Over the years I've had a few 67 Stangs with the CCG but not until just recently do I have one that is 100% complete!!
I know so far all the lights work except the low fuel (still trying to find the time to test it).
My parking brake light lens is cracked so I'll have to hunt a correct replacement for it (that won't break the bank!).
I have an early 67 so my lights are the 2 red and 2 blue.  They are in the console since I have factory AC.

I may have one that isn't perfect but perfectly usable. I am NOT SURE right now where it might be at but I am about 99% sure I have that lens.
Richard Urch

Offline stangman39

I may have one that isn't perfect but perfectly usable. I am NOT SURE right now where it might be at but I am about 99% sure I have that lens.

Cool, thanks.  No rush at all.  Not something I need to change any time soon!
Is it just the lens that can be be replaced or is the whole bulb socket and lens one piece?

Offline 67gtasanjose

Cool, thanks.  No rush at all.  Not something I need to change any time soon!
Is it just the lens that can be be replaced or is the whole bulb socket and lens one piece?

Service-wise, by Ford...it would have been the whole lamp as an assembly (without the bulb socket).
Scott Drake sells a decent bezel that helps for replacing damaged chrome, the S.D. set comes with reproduction lenses similar to the LATER style. When I service (replace) the bezels, I've just been using JB Weld and clamping them together for an overnight curing. 

I'll look for what I have, I have a few ideas where I may have stashed my leftover parts but we'll see how well my memory serves me ;)
Richard Urch