Author Topic: Overseas owner insuring car in US?  (Read 3133 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Overseas owner insuring car in US?
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:40:43 PM »
Is it possible for an owner, say from Germany, to insure a car (64.5 coupe) he owns here in the US?  It's primarily a show car, limited to no driving.  Been hitting brick walls with places like Hagerty/Heacock.  They state he has to have a regular car insurance policy here to have classic car insurance.

Thanks for any pointers.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Rsanter

Re: Overseas owner insuring car in US?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
Rules are the rules
Does he have friends here?
Can they insure the car?
Can he insure the car through his insurance back home?

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline hopeto

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:32:21 PM »
Is the car titled in a foreign country and in his name?
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »
Is the car titled in a foreign country and in his name?

The car was bought from Illinois, so he has the title from the seller with his info filled out on the back.  Being in Germany, he wouldn't do anything with the title unless it was imported.  Probably not the best situation I guess.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 01:14:03 PM »
I'm not sure on Illinois laws, but it seem regardless of the jurisdiction, that if I title isn't fully in ANYONE's name, he stands a snowflake's chance in hell of getting coverage from ANY Insurance company...especially if a claim should occur. My best thoughts would be, at least get the title work finished, say in a local friends name, somebody he can trust, somebody who is already insured. That way if, say it ever was sold, or a claim should occur, it would be easier to get any needed paperwork processed.
This scenario is just weird!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline hopeto

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 03:46:49 PM »
I'm an agent in Texas and the reason I asked about the title was to see who has "an insurable interest" in the vehicle. Lack of a clean title is a problem. Normally the name on the title, the named insured on the collector car policy, and the name on the "regular" auto policy must match along with the address where the car is normally stored. Exception's to the address rule are called "alternate garaging location" and are normally approved for commercial storage locations. 67gtasanjose's idea "could" work, but requires a LOT of trust. The last thing you want to have happen is a claim denied for misrepresentation. The lawyers come out ahead!
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 05:45:28 PM »
The last thing you want to have happen is a claim denied for misrepresentation. The lawyers come out ahead!
+++++++50,000 and 1!!!!
as I said...it is a weird scenario!
Probably could have stated to at least get the titlework done, if not in his own name, somebody he really knows and could trust. When it comes to big dollars...nobody really is trustworthy. Lawyers understand this very well...most do not even trust each other!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:49:07 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
So what are the rules for registration?
Can he go down to DMV, give his name and a friends address and getnthe car titles in his name at the friends address?
Can he then get insurance?

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline hopeto

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »
Can he go down to DMV, give his name and a friends address and getnthe car titles in his name at the friends address? Can he then get insurance?
Answer to 1st question: Maybe yes, someone could mis-state the truth and possibly get a title that way if they don't require a valid ID.
Answer to 2nd question: No. Since he really doesn't live at that address he won't have a drivers license from that state showing that address and he doesn't have a "regular" auto policy for a regular use auto showing that address. All of these things are normally required and verified for a collector type policy to be issued.

You've passed my level of expertise, but I think the direction to head depends on where/what country he plans on getting the vehicle titled.
Has he checked with insurance carriers in his country for their advise?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 12:27:52 AM »
In NC, I'm pretty sure a valid drivers license is required to submit paperwork for a title.  I certainly am not getting involved with getting a title in my name as it is way too much risk.  As far as I know, Germany does not do titles, but I would guess there has to some documentation of ownership?

Appreciate the replies.  I knew it was far-fetched, but thought I would ask.  Interestingly enough, the owner talked to someone from Heacock at the 50th and they said it wouldn't be a problem!  Of course, I got a completely different story when I called.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 10:44:05 PM »
They could in California last time (only time) I had to do this for a South African living in NZ working in the states for a six month period.  I was able to get him - insurance on two cars, register them in his name all on an international drivers license

Don'[t know currently if this is allow but heck their allowing illegals to have drivers license, car insurance and practice law currently - so don' t see why a legal visitor couldn't. (Not a political statement - just a statement of the facts related to the question)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)