Author Topic: Hunting A Ford 4100-A Carburetor Part Color Code  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Dan Case

Hunting A Ford 4100-A Carburetor Part Color Code
« on: January 28, 2020, 01:35:32 PM »
Color Code Information Wanted
Ford 2100/4100 Carburetor "Support" (a.k.a. booster, cluster,. auxiliary venturi ) Color Codes

Mid 1960s support assemblies were marked with either one or two daubs of colored paint. Some of the late 1950s parts were partially dipped in dyes of different colors.  The tower core plugs and the tubular passages from their tower like main bodies out to auxiliary venturi were targets for color code daubs.  Each color they had could be used alone of in combinations with itself or other colors.   The example below is the secondary "B" support in a new old stock C3OF-AJ model for most 1963-1/2 HP289 Fairlane engines.  The B supports received a single red daub on what would be the driver's side tube of the car the carburetor was used in.

The "BA" support used in C4OF-AL carburetor assemblies received a red daub on both tubes. There were all kinds of colors and combinations used for the various assemblies; i.e. yellow on one side and black on the other. The one I can find no data on is the "M" support used in C4OF-AL carburetors. So far I have not found anybody that knows how they were marked.  While the daubs on secondary supports often last until somebody solvent cleans the assembly the daubs on primary clusters usually got washed off pretty quickly, probably by fuel mist during choke operation.

My question to the community is, does anybody have color pictures of a new old stock M support or have a used part with traces of paint remaining? I sure would like the information to complete my spread sheet on color codes on C4OF-AL, C4OF-AT, and early C5OF-L carburetors for 1964-1/2-65 HP289 engines.

Thanks for looking.
Dan
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 01:07:44 PM by Dan Case »
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline Dan Case

Re: Hunting A Ford 4100-A Carburetor Part Color Code
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 06:49:31 PM »
Still hunting this piece of information.
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 07:29:31 PM »
Somebody with a new old stock carburetor answered the question with a picture they posted on another site. A safety yellow paint daub on the core plug over the driver's side emulsion tube well in the auxiliary venturi (a.k.a. booster) assembly.

That completes my details list of finishes, paint daubs, and grease pencil marks for C4OF-AL and C4OF-AT  models.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 07:32:14 PM by Dan Case »
Dan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 04:25:15 PM »
Don't know why I didn't look earlier but don't seem to have much in the way of the early-early 4100 pictures as far as paint markings

Did have this showing the 50's part number and the same red marking that the one in your initial post showed. Did not take the time to look up the original application

Do have some pictures of these parts from a service replacement (C8 part) Hipo carb but not sure if they would be the same as the C4 or not so at this point will not post. You may have seen that one up for sale in the past on Ebay

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 07:19:12 PM »
Jeff,
In Bob Mannel's online book it shows the later service carburetors using different "supports" than the assembly line models.

1956-1967 Ford used all kinds of color code dip dyes and or paint daubs for quick visual identification of "supports". I can imagine assembly workers using color codes and not full engineering numbers to pull parts from bins. Whole assemblies could be dipped in a colorant or daubed with paints or both. One daub or two, one color or two, and etcetera.  Same was true of automatic choke assemblies. I have seen plain, deep red, deep blue, and bronze (called red or orange in Ford listings). Ditto economizer (a.k.a. power) valves dipped in colorant dyes for quick identification.  Some Keps type nuts were dipped in dilute colorant dyes, my guess size and thread identification. The one in Ford carburetors almost always corroded appear to have been bright zinc plated and then dipped in a dye to give them a faint yellowish color. The color comes off real easily.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 01:09:28 PM by Dan Case »
Dan