Author Topic: Which Intake Vacuum Valves Would I Need?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline 69GTconvert

Which Intake Vacuum Valves Would I Need?
« on: June 18, 2014, 06:01:02 PM »
I am looking to add the original intake back on my 69 Mustang but I'm not sure if I need a Distributor Vacuum Control Valve and am confused about which intake vacuum port I would need. Some info about my Mustang that may help:

- Built April 8, 1969 in Dearborn
- 390 4 speed car
- DSO in New Jersey
- Power steering
- Disc brakes.

1. Would I need a Distributor Vacuum Control Valve installed in the thermostat housing?
2. Based on the options I listed above, which intake vacuum port would I need from the pictures below?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:07:02 PM by 69GTconvert »
George
Georgia

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
390 4V, Close Ratio 4 Speed
Royal Maroon - Black Standard Interior w/ High Back Seats

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Which Intake Vacuum Valves Would I Need?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
Look on the Mansfieldmustang site, he has color pictures of intakes with those parts in the PCV section.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:13:51 PM »
Look on the Mansfieldmustang site, he has color pictures of intakes with those parts in the PCV section.

Here is a link to the page mentioned above: http://mansfieldmustang.com/EnginePCV.html
And the '69 390 intake setup, after 2-21-69 pic: http://mansfieldmustang.com/04-42.jpg

1. Would I need a Distributor Vacuum Control Valve installed in the thermostat housing?

"Need"?  Not necessary for the car to operate normally.  Its purpose was to change the timing (by porting vacuum) if the car reaches a hot / overheat condition. 
If you have one to install, then go for it.  If not, then you can put a plug in the thermostat housing port and install the control valve when you have the desire.

If you are talking about installing one for "correctness"... um, I don't have an answer for that one >.>
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:15:30 PM »

Since this is the Concours site  - of course you would/will since it would not be restored without it

Also referred to as a PVS Ported Vacuum Switch

2. Based on the options I listed above, which intake vacuum port would I need from the pictures below?

The vacuum tree that you posted would attache to the other larger vacuum block at the rear of the intake

Closest match I have is a Non AC, PB, PS  manual trans NJ 69 From the 9T01S151xxx  period

And a Dearborn examples (ignore the PO manual choke upgrade :)

Both cars still have the Autolite 4300' s so not allot of things have been done to these cars. Not restored by a long shot

In both it appears that there is a single hose attachment at the rear unlike the one you posted which has two hose connections

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
That brass block was added after engine was painted & should never be painted & different types depended on options p/b tilt shaker a/c etc. but the 1 you have in picture is most common.

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 03:50:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback, pictures and links.

I contacted Mansfield Mustang about which intake vacuum port would be correct for my application. The picture posted on their site shows a brass block with a threaded hole on one side (maybe for the disc brakes) and two other vacuum ports like the picture of the brass block I posted. Mansfield told me a Mustang could have come with a brass block from the factory with additional ports and if some were not needed, they would be blocked off with a rubber plug. He told me they grabbed whatever was available at the time on the assembly line.

Most of the brass blocks I have seen for my Mustang come with the two vacuum ports and a larger threaded hole on one side. I have not seen a brass block with only one opening as were posted in Jeff's pictures, but I'm still looking.
George
Georgia

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
390 4V, Close Ratio 4 Speed
Royal Maroon - Black Standard Interior w/ High Back Seats