Author Topic: Getting a new (old) Mustang  (Read 9709 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting a new (old) Mustang
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 02:39:54 AM »
Thanks Bob, I will be looking for help on that too.  Give me your assessment if you will, I know about the brown shocks…. :)
All of the upper shock bracket hardware is incorrect ,If the hose was painted on the pcv so would the elbow and the pinch clamps, pcv valve wrong , the valve cover bolts would be zinc silver and the valve cover gaskets would be silver painted cork with staples holding the tabs to the cover, sparkplug wires and dist vac advance can incorrect, valve cover breather cap incorrect , silver tie strap on A/C hoses incorrect style, pedestal clamps on bypass hose should be painted, incorrect thermostat housing and hardware, fender hardware finish should be zinc phosphate , unless extremely early car stripes on hoses would be typically be reddish orange . Yellow was a lessor seen variety. The heater hose fitting at the intake would typically be painted with the intake, fitting at waterpump incorrect from angle of heater hose, The upper radiator hose is a extremely late fomoco in rectangle marking but I don't thing Marti marks the more correct fomoco in script in a oval one yet. heater hose A/C valve at firewall poor repro, fastener at firewall heater shield should be zinc phosphate hex not slotted, ground wire screw at cowl incorrect finish and maybe style (pic resolution although good, too low to tell for me) repro export brace (of course added not factory) looks cheesy . There is a better repro. The hardware finish for the brace at the cowl should be gold, compressor clutch wire /washer hose not route properly, hardware on idler puller brkt incorrect and wrong finish, A/c belt incorrect size . The adjustment when tight would be half way in adjustment slot, coil spring cover bolts appear to be painted -should be zinc phosphate. Sorry but the repro coil sticks out like a sore thumb. Battery cables incorrect (assume others since pos is wrong). BB batt ground should be a bolt and not a stud and nut(although easier IMO).   There are some other finishes of things but can't tell because of shadows for instance splash shield screw at cowl should be zinc phosphate (looks painted black),dist hold down should be zinc phosphate (looks painted blue) .That is all that stands out to me . I am sure I missed something. From the angle ,lighting ,resolution etc and given the amount I was able to distinguish from what I could see in the one picture ,I am sure there is at least as many things that I couldn't see. I didn't elaborate on a lot of the finishes ,fastener makers marks or description of correct part because of my lack of typing skills. Others can elaborate. It looks to be a very nice car with not near as many things out of place like I would typically see. Congrats on a beautiful car.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:45:09 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 09:14:08 AM »
Bob, can you elaborate a bit more on the heater hoses?  The ones pictured have white stripes.  You talked about (1) unless extremely early would be reddish orange typically, and (2) yellow was not as typical.

Does this mean:
1. White is ok for extremely early?
2. After that, reddish orange is typical, but yellow used occasionally?

Do you have a cutoff date to distinguish the transition?  I realize that it can't be an absolute, and is subject to new discoveries in the future. 

Also in terms of supply, other than the typical suppliers of reproduction parts, is there a specialty supplier out there that might have something more authentic?

Thanks, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline mwizz

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 10:04:41 AM »
That's one beautiful car, congrats

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 10:15:02 AM »
That's one beautiful car, congrats

Thanks!
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
All of the upper shock bracket hardware is incorrect ,If the hose was painted on the pcv so would the elbow and the pinch clamps, pcv valve wrong , the valve cover bolts would be zinc silver and the valve cover gaskets would be silver painted cork with staples holding the tabs to the cover, sparkplug wires and dist vac advance can incorrect, valve cover breather cap incorrect , silver tie strap on A/C hoses incorrect style, pedestal clamps on bypass hose should be painted, incorrect thermostat housing and hardware, fender hardware finish should be zinc phosphate , unless extremely early car stripes on hoses would be typically be reddish orange . Yellow was a lessor seen variety. The heater hose fitting at the intake would typically be painted with the intake, fitting at waterpump incorrect from angle of heater hose, The upper radiator hose is a extremely late fomoco in rectangle marking but I don't thing Marti marks the more correct fomoco in script in a oval one yet. heater hose A/C valve at firewall poor repro, fastener at firewall heater shield should be zinc phosphate hex not slotted, ground wire screw at cowl incorrect finish and maybe style (pic resolution although good, too low to tell for me) repro export brace (of course added not factory) looks cheesy . There is a better repro. The hardware finish for the brace at the cowl should be gold, compressor clutch wire /washer hose not route properly, hardware on idler puller brkt incorrect and wrong finish, A/c belt incorrect size . The adjustment when tight would be half way in adjustment slot, coil spring cover bolts appear to be painted -should be zinc phosphate. Sorry but the repro coil sticks out like a sore thumb. Battery cables incorrect (assume others since pos is wrong). BB batt ground should be a bolt and not a stud and nut(although easier IMO).   There are some other finishes of things but can't tell because of shadows for instance splash shield screw at cowl should be zinc phosphate (looks painted black),dist hold down should be zinc phosphate (looks painted blue) .That is all that stands out to me . I am sure I missed something. From the angle ,lighting ,resolution etc and given the amount I was able to distinguish from what I could see in the one picture ,I am sure there is at least as many things that I couldn't see. I didn't elaborate on a lot of the finishes ,fastener makers marks or description of correct part because of my lack of typing skills. Others can elaborate. It looks to be a very nice car with not near as many things out of place like I would typically see. Congrats on a beautiful car.

Thanks Bob!  That is a great list for me to start with.  I was going to start ordering some parts from Marti and was wondering about the heater hose stripes in particular.  This car was built in Jersey, April 27, 1967, so a late car.  On the export brace, who makes a good one if I can't find an original restored one?  Thanks, I will have more questions as I work through the car, since I just got it.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 12:09:13 PM »
Thanks Bob!  That is a great list for me to start with.  I was going to start ordering some parts from Marti and was wondering about the heater hose stripes in particular.  This car was built in Jersey, April 27, 1967, so a late car.  On the export brace, who makes a good one if I can't find an original restored one?  Thanks, I will have more questions as I work through the car, since I just got it.
Go with the redish stripe hose because it is more common but yellow would be the other possibility. A late car would typically be June or July right before shut down. It should most likely have the round oval on the upper rad hose but only Special Ed does those hoses.  Virginia Mustang sells a excellent almost identical repro export brace. Best of luck.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

priceless

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
Wow !!! big block GT, tilt, air, p/b, deluxe int/ext with louvered tail light panel, pass side mirror !!!....just to name a few.  Holy Chit, nicely optioned 67 !!!

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 03:44:01 PM »
Wow !!! big block GT, tilt, air, p/b, deluxe int/ext with louvered tail light panel, pass side mirror !!!....just to name a few.  Holy Chit, nicely optioned 67 !!!

Thank you.  I am curious to see what the Marti stats have on it, should be one of one before too many options are listed.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 08:00:25 PM »
Got the full Marti back, this car is pretty rare…..

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2014, 04:31:28 PM »

Thanks to a great start from Bob here, and some help from Tim and Kerry and others getting the correct parts, I now have assembled my winter project (picture attached) to get my S code ready for MCA judging in Tucson, back to the garage…..

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2014, 05:34:25 PM »
Beautiful car! Congrats. 

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2014, 06:21:49 PM »
Thanks to a great start from Bob here, and some help from Tim and Kerry and others getting the correct parts, I now have assembled my winter project (picture attached) to get my S code ready for MCA judging in Tucson, back to the garage…..
I see you found the correct vacuum resevoir, did you ever come up with the bracket that holds it to the battery tray?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 06:44:56 PM »
I see you found the correct vacuum resevoir, did you ever come up with the bracket that holds it to the battery tray?
Working on it as we speak…...

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »
You should store the fan clutch with the bolt on flange facing up. When storing the way as in the picture the oil has been known to seep out of the seals .

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 09:59:21 AM »
Thanks Bob, it has just been restored, and it is about to go on, so it won't be like that for long, just for the picture so you could see the date code.