Author Topic: Need advice re vehicle transport and/or trailering  (Read 9133 times)

Offline Angela

Need advice re vehicle transport and/or trailering
« on: November 13, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »
I need to move one of my prized cars from southern MN to Syracuse NY. My plan was to purchase an enclosed trailer, rent a moving truck and tow my car in the enclosed trailer. Today, however, I learned that it appears Uhaul, Penske and perhaps all moving truck companies will not allow you to tow your own trailer using their truck. Further, even if they did allow it, their trucks do not have brake controllers for electric trailer brakes. I am looking for some advice concerning this situation.

(1) Had anyone been able to tow their enclosed trailer with a rented moving truck and if so, which company did you use?

(2) Can anyone comment on transport companies? I could pay someone to move my mustang, but this makes me VERY nervous. I fear I'll never see the car again. I received a quote from Passport Auto Transport and am wondering if anyone has used them (they're listed on Hagerty's website).

(3) Is anyone aware of honest, reliable transport people who move just one car at a time, in enclosed trailers?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Need advice re vehicle transport and/or trailering
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 03:28:44 PM »
Have rented Expeditions in the past with towing package that worked fine pulling a 20-24ft enclosed trailer.  Technically not supposed to do it, but might be a risk you're willing to take instead of spending big $$ having it moved.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline nham3407

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 03:49:24 PM »
Response to your questions:
1) I have not found a rental agency that would allow for this.
2) I had 2 cars moved with a work relocation by Passport Transport from Northern IL to West TN.  1 was a non running but rolling car the other was my brand new Grand Cherokee.  Both arrived without problems. 
3) I do have a party that transported my just completed 72 Mach 1 and my friends original owner 30K mile Boss 302 to Charlotte in April.  He has a 2 car trailer that he utilizes to transport high end exotics.  He is higher than most would quote you, but I would 100% vouch for his care and attention to our prized possessions.

My only advice is that you definitly get what you pay for in the car transport industry.  If you are looking for the lowest quote I would expect the lowest service and attention.  Factor in the thousands of dollars you have invested in the car and all of your time and personal investment in the car and then decide if a $600 quote is more appealing than a $1000 quote.  It is an important decision to make.

If you would like a referral on a broker I know of or a transporter I would recommend without a question. PM me
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »
Here is a thought, look for enclosed trailer rentals and see if they would include the tow vehicle.

For transport companies, keep in mind the more flexible the date, the more flexible pricing.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 05:20:46 PM »
My late cousin drove for North American VanLines. For awhile he was transporting exotics and special interest cars from the auctions to their new owners. He received hours of training to do this. He had to wear a special coverall, gloves and shoe covers while moving vehicles. Not sure if they still offer the service.

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »
Have rented Expeditions in the past with towing package that worked fine pulling a 20-24ft enclosed trailer.  Technically not supposed to do it, but might be a risk you're willing to take instead of spending big $$ having it moved.

Charles, where on earth did you find a place to rent an expedition? Does Hertz actually rent them with the towing package installed, with electric brake controllers?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
Charles, where on earth did you find a place to rent an expedition? Does Hertz actually rent them with the towing package installed, with electric brake controllers?

Yep, some of the regular rental companies have them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
I've used Reliable Carriers a few times--EXCELLENT service and drivers that "get it" when it comes to vintage and classic cars. 

http://www.reliablecarriers.com/
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline Angela

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 11:52:38 AM »
Thanks for the comments on "Reliable Transport". I now have seen three positive comments on that company. They are, however, by far the most expensive of the four companies listed on Hagerty's website. I wouldn't want to use the cheapest place, but Reliable is far and away the most expensive. Additionally, it makes me sick to think of allowing someone I don't know to haul away with a car I've been working on for more than a decade. How on earth do I know for sure I'll ever see it again? Further, my car is a 390.... ever try to work with a 390? They aren't exactly a "turn key" engine..... one kinda needs to know how to start it and work with it..... I wonder how in the world a transport company gets her loaded without issue.

I might have found a uhaul place that allows their trucks to tow a trailer they did not provide. It's still not clear to me, however, if their trucks will control a trailer's electric brakes, even though their trucks do have the 7-pin connector. I was told the trailers uhaul rents use surge brakes, thus they wouldn't need to have wired a brake controller. Is a brake controller needed?

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
I've used Reliable Carriers a few times--EXCELLENT service and drivers that "get it" when it comes to vintage and classic cars. 

http://www.reliablecarriers.com/

+1 on Reliable Carriers.  I have used them twice to transport my '65 coupe and have been thoroughly satisfied w/ them, no incidents.
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline KevinK

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »
I might have found a uhaul place that allows their trucks to tow a trailer they did not provide. It's still not clear to me, however, if their trucks will control a trailer's electric brakes, even though their trucks do have the 7-pin connector. I was told the trailers uhaul rents use surge brakes, thus they wouldn't need to have wired a brake controller. Is a brake controller needed?

The U-haul trailers I have seen and used are open trailers.  They do not require a brake controller.  Actually, the brake controller is not a big deal to install on the Ford the unit plugs in with an adapter (provided by Ford).
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 05:22:27 PM »
My dad has used Intercity Lines to transport his Mustang from California to Texas.  He had his 66 Hertz transported from Cali to TX and then my car was transported from his house in TX to my house here in AZ.  Very reliable and take care of the cars.  When mine arrived there were 2 Porsche Carrera GT's on the top row and a Formula F1 car and then my car was on the bottom in front of a 67-69 Camaro.  I would use them again...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
 Angela, whatever carrier you decide to use, take pics of your car as it is being picked up. Make sure the transporter and/or the driver is in the pics. Also be sure to get a "damage sheet" showing what, if any, defects the car may have. The driver should provide this. It is for everyone's protection.

Offline nham3407

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »
My concern with the big van lines is that they will often switch up cars during the move.  I have read stories of cars being loaded at the front top of the enclosed trailer and when the car was offloaded it was on the bottom.  I have also read information that cars have been heldup at maintenance terminals with the trucks having maintenance problems.  Here is a website that I reviewed information on before selecting a transporter inthe past.

http://www.transportreviews.com/
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline Angela

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 10:20:29 AM »
Can anyone offer advice concerning the correct way to secure a vintage mustang into an enclosed trailer? Specifically, I would like to know if it's best to use wheel-nets or traditional ratchet-straps (one at each wheel). I will be strapping down a show car and am concerned about damaging paint, stressing components or damaging brake lines if I strap against the rear axle and front lower control arms. I'm looking for feedback.

I was told that these traditional straps were a good choice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390966364311