Author Topic: Need advice re vehicle transport and/or trailering  (Read 9132 times)

priceless

Re: Need advice re vehicle transport and/or trailering
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 02:35:17 PM »
Have likely more tow miles than most on these forums......
Well, I've been towing for 20 years commercially (with a CDL class "A" license) and my own Mustangs in a 24' enclosed. Probably logged well over 150,000+ miles.

I'm just saying this is my opinion....I personally wouldn't haul a complete 3400# Mustang in a box truck with 2X4's attached to the floor with wood screws....JMO 

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »
 Have the A license with Cat for 20 yrs

This type of haul is not allowed by the rental co so likely should have refrained from sharing. It is very popular with auction cars going to Mexico and our local offroaders do it with their Jeeps to save fuel going to the desert. That is where I got the idea initially. It could be easily done wrong as well. Lots of tricks to securing a safe load and I know them as proven.

Point was not to convince anyone but to show an alternative that does in fact work if properly executed.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 03:22:02 PM »

Point was not to convince anyone but to show an alternative that does in fact work if properly executed.

Point taken, and as mentioned, I know of family who has done this before too. The big problem would always be IF...IF something went wrong. Insurance will not cover your cargo if it is outside the guidelines of the carrier. That can be a huge risk.  When my parents did this years ago in Georgia, it was because their backs were against the wall. It was the right answer to the dilemma they were in. I wouldn't ever say I would NEVER try it if I were attempting to haul one home from afar, while working at keeping expenses down (say I flew in somewhere and HAD to do the once in a lifetime deals "right now".)

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Angela

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »
I'm still looking for advice concerning where, precisely, do folks locate the tie-down straps at the front end of a '67? It looks like I can use the cross-brace on the passenger side of the (front) car, but the radiator hose prohibits me from doing the same on the driver's side. I don't like the thought of wrapping the strap around the lower control arm, because the strap is just going to try and pull the control arm forward at an angle (D-rings are located just ahead of and outward of each front tire).

Help?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2014, 02:30:34 PM »
I'm still looking for advice concerning where, precisely, do folks locate the tie-down straps at the front end of a '67? It looks like I can use the cross-brace on the passenger side of the (front) car, but the radiator hose prohibits me from doing the same on the driver's side. I don't like the thought of wrapping the strap around the lower control arm, because the strap is just going to try and pull the control arm forward at an angle (D-rings are located just ahead of and outward of each front tire).

Help?
The lowers are supported forward with the strut rods so not much you can do to harm them by pulling forward wrapped around them like many do myself included. I have a padded wrap that goes around the strap so as not to mar anything. I like the angle that particular tie point provides.  Alternate points are strut rods, or "J" hooks in frame rail key way made for the special tow "J" hook. I hope this helps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2014, 05:21:51 PM »
............ I don't like the thought of wrapping the strap around the lower control arm, because the strap is just going to try and pull the control arm forward at an angle (D-rings are located just ahead of and outward of each front tire).

I've often just crossed the front (and even the rear) straps so that it centers and reduces the side movement the car might make during the trip and if using the lowers pulls in s similar direction as the struts. Also often its a short distance to the front anchors and crossing them allows me a better fit and ability to access and apply the tightening devices
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)