Author Topic: 67 Deluxe Steering wheel exploded view?  (Read 9680 times)

priceless

Re: 67 Deluxe Steering wheel exploded view?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 11:01:42 AM »
I started to remove mine last night so I could get some pictures but then remembered all of the trouble adjusting it and decided against it.....
+1..... I could take pics of the wheel together, That's about it. I'm with Marty, I couldn't see me taking it apart just to have to put it back together.

Seems I used some sort of instruction from one of the Mustang magazines, but for the life of me, can't remember which one it was. Angela, look for  Mustang Monthly article by googling. I have every issue of MM since the beginning.   

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »
More questions as shown in the picture below:

That might explain things. Here is an image of the parts Charles sold as NOS to hopefully confirm the answer to your question in the photo. Difficult to see the bottom in this image, I would need to take another shot if it is no help.

UPDATE: I tried to open this image but it is a poor quality (bad resolution). I'll try and look tonight at these when I get home.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:17:36 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Angela

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »
"I would need to take another shot if it is no help."       ----> any chance you could take another picture? I cannot see enough detail to discern what you believe is explaining things. Thanks in advance!

priceless

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 11:26:34 AM »
Photos probably won't do you much good, but I thought I'd lend them anyway.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 11:26:47 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-Deluxe-Woodgrain-Steering-Wheel-Original-1965-1967-With-Horn-Ring-/111534833212?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f7fe7e3c

Here is an ebay listing that has some details you might be able to use.

I forgot, mine is on a tilt column and some say one of the chrome collar parts are listed as DIFFERENT on a tilt application.(the lower one) This has been refuted before but I do not know if there really ARE any different parts for the tilt/fixed column deluxe wheels. I never heard that the standard wheels have anything different about them so it makes no sense they should be different ONLY on the woodgrain wheels  :-\ ...but I am no expert on this topic, I only have but ONE experience to speak of.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Angela

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 11:50:38 AM »
I think these two "nubs" are the issue..... I see some pictures of these parts with the nubs and others without. Both the original and repro collars I have include these nubs, yet I don't find any corresponding features in the upper collar to accept them. What gives? Should these nubs be here for the 67 deluxe wheel application?

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 01:00:23 PM »
The two collars should fit together nicely without ANYTHING else (as a test fit) If they do NOT fit together, at least one of those parts are incorrect.
Richard Urch

Offline Angela

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »
Agreed. If anyone has a picture of both sides of an original upper trim ring (the chrome piece which the padded center piece connects to) I would appreciate it. I am wondering if mine is incorrect, lacking features for the "nubs" within the lower trim ring to mate with.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 10:13:38 PM »
See if the attached document helps at all.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 10:38:10 PM »
Regarding wood/tilt different parts, there are two commonly discussed.

1. Different crash pad (cap assy, steering wheel hub, part 3623) on wood wheels (not related to tilt).  I can confirm that this is true.  Refer to the first picture below from the Jan 67 MPC.  Also refer to a different post where I posted pictures with dimensions comparing a regular and wood grain wheel pad.  The wood grain wheel pad is "deeper".  In my opinion that is due to the fact that the wood wheel is a deeper dish than a regular one, and the pad, a safety item, was intended to be flush with the rim.

2. Different lower collar (for tilt app).  I looked through the Jan 67 MPC and see no mention of this - there is only one part listed.  I've never had someone claiming to sell one provide me with any dimensions so I could compare to the stash that I have.  Also I have an original wheel and tilt column from a car (I pulled them both) and there is no difference compared to the other wheels I have.  The second picture is for this part - 3491.

However, the big "but", if you look at the third picture from the very same MPC, you will notice that the steering wheel hub pictured is an older 1966 model.  Which just shows that nothing is perfect.

I need to get a hold on a later MPC to see if there were any subsequent corrections.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 07:15:58 AM »
John, thanks for that PDF file, that should  help Angela tremendously.

Here are the pictures of mine assembled, with the canceling cam and the NOS (although they have evidence of being used they were, if memory serves, listing as "installed once but removed NOS") parts from Charles T., sitting next to the wheel. Eventually, I will install the parts that are seperate but most likely whenever I send the wheel center out for restoration (a later day project).

The tri-bar horn ring in the assembed wheel (pictured) is also a NOS. It did have the C5 engineering number similar to the one pictured in John's aformentioned PDF but the C5 number was seemingly ground off before it wa chromed and a C7 number stamped into it (maybe a service replacement item, this all going by memory, I assembled this a year and a half ago  but I do remember it sure looked exactly the same as the C5 one I have [though cracked] that I bought with an auction lot of parts & pieces to build my assembly out of)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:37:18 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Angela

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »
Thanks John for the pdf and "67gtasanjose" for the pictures!!!!

I have a question based on    67gtasanjose's 3rd, 4th and 5th pictures (above). Earlier in this thread, someone stated that if I had a deluxe steering wheel, then the cancelling cam is built into the wheel. However, in the above pictures isn't the plastic piece shown sitting next to the wheel the cancelling cam? I'm confused as to whether or not I need this part and if I do, where to find one. I don't see it being reproduced and don't find any on ebay right now.

2nd question, I know I asked this before, but what is the yellow-ish plastic looking ring visible in 67gtasanjose's photo (I marked it below):

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 01:11:22 PM »
Thanks John for the pdf and "67gtasanjose" for the pictures!!!!

I have a question based on    67gtasanjose's 3rd, 4th and 5th pictures (above). Earlier in this thread, someone stated that if I had a deluxe steering wheel, then the cancelling cam is built into the wheel. However, in the above pictures isn't the plastic piece shown sitting next to the wheel the cancelling cam? I'm confused as to whether or not I need this part and if I do, where to find one. I don't see it being reproduced and don't find any on ebay right now.

2nd question, I know I asked this before, but what is the yellow-ish plastic looking ring visible in 67gtasanjose's photo (I marked it below):

The cancelling cam is pressed onto the wheel before the wheel is installed onto the column. I am leaving mine off till I am ready to install it to keep from accidently breaking it. The other yellowish ring is another insulator that is absolutely impossible to find and not really required to have in there (to my best understanding) The yellowish ring sets into the groove between the two contacts. I do not think all cars ever came with one, but as I said earlier, this is the only example of a 67 Wheel I have ever worked on

The cam is still available on ebay I mentioned earlier (listed as a tilt-away type) It looks like what I have but I do have a tilt column, so I won't swear it works on non-tilts. Maybe somebody with a master parts calalog can answer that question better but I would think it is the same thing for all applications.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-1969-Mustang-GT-Shelby-Thunderbird-Cougar-Xr7-ORIG-TILT-AWAY-WHEEL-CAM-/151498749817?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2346077779&vxp=mtr

Also here:
http://www.cobranda.com/tiwhtusicaca.html

Much more affordable at Branda's and I really have to wonder if it isn't for the wood wheel, not Tilt wheel only.
Again, a MPC would be a good source of the truth.
Richard
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 05:15:18 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Angela

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 05:20:53 PM »
FYI...I contacted that ebay seller and he/she indicated that cam will NOT work with the deluxe steering wheel. So, I remain confused.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »
As I said before you do not need the canceling cam unless you have the tilt wheel. It is needed for the different tilt turn switch. The standard is built in to the steel of the wheel base.
Marty