Author Topic: Wire Tag - Dash to Eng Feed  (Read 1327 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Wire Tag - Dash to Eng Feed
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:45:22 PM »
This is the decal that goes along the wiring harness  between the valve cover and the intake manifold.  I have two questions, one is this tag normally found on San Jose cars built in October of 64 and two, would it be the early tag that is white, or the later that is red if it is found. 

Thanks,
Chris
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Wire Tag - Dash to Eng Feed
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »
This is the decal that goes along the wiring harness  between the valve cover and the intake manifold.  I have two questions, one is this tag normally found on San Jose cars built in October of 64

Believe yes - will look through the pictures but believe that workers still needed to identify each one so that the wrong one didn't get installed and the paper tag was the identification (printing and or color) method

would it be the early tag that is white, or the later that is red if it is found. 

Will need to look at 65 wire loom tags to refresh my memory and find an example or tow hopefully. In later years at least the all white tags are often the identification of the worker or sub contractor  that assembled the loom by a number printed on it. The looms were made all over the country - lots of sub contractors of larger companies that got the bid.

As a related side story - my family stopped in the 60's out in the desert - traveling across country likely going to see the Grand Canyon if I recall correctly. In the garage bays they had a little operation there they were making wire looms for power seats in Lincolns and T Birds. Would have never guessed

Will report back
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 12:29:18 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  Here are pics of he two tags offered by ECS and NPD.  The white is early and the red is late.  I don't know what constitutes as early:

Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 10:47:07 PM »
Chris - Looked though all my pictures - both Mustangs and early Shelby's just to see if I could find any engine from around that period with a label on that loom

1- I would expect that they did have a tag like just about every other loom on the car but can not prove it.  Its a much larger loom than the later car engine feed ones.

2- Would expect it to be at the engine end of the loom rather than the firewall or starter relay ends but again - can prove it. Found this one shot but it looks as much a reflection as a label. 

5R161xxx wire loom label maybe

Found a number of cars with labels still in place on the automatic trans wire loom and the forward engine compartment looms after all these years - not sure why the engine one didn't hold up as well

5R178xxx wire loom label at relay

5R188xxx eng wire loom tag (Charle's parts car)

Sorry - just what I found If it makes any difference the auto trans and the front looms both had white labels 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 11:03:38 PM »
Thanks Jeff I appreciate it. 
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe