Author Topic: Just being thrifty - sharing my strategy for purchasing Evapo-Rust.  (Read 5874 times)

Offline ppc66

• My mustang pics
Just thought I'd share my strategy for purchasing Evapo-Rust...  I've been purchasing it through Advanced Auto using their 30% off any order coupon code - TRT30.  Around here it's 22.99 - Get's the price down to about 16.09.  Place an order through their website, pay via CC and go pick it up.

There's another code - TRT37 that I've been considering using which is $30 off orders over $75 . So, for 4 Gallons of ER-
Price: $22.99
Add'l Discount: -$30.00
Total: $61.96
That's $15.49 each!

Not a bad deal if you need that much.  Always check for coupon codes other places online rather than use what the banner on their webpage is offering.  Of course this strategy doesn't apply to just buying ER - Just thought I'd share because IMO this hobby doesn't offer as many opportunities for discounts (like for example the stores SWMBO frequents). We certainly pay to play!

Best regards,

Perry
Mustang Coupe, C4, DUI, CompCams 260, Addco 1", Renmachine Hella Conversion, CSRP Brakes/Spindles/Booster, Torque Thrusts.
☆☆☆Added January 2014☆☆☆
StreetOrTrack Front Bilstein Coilover System, Bilstein Rear Shocks, 4-1/2 leaf springs.

Offline rodster

Re: Just being thrifty - sharing my strategy for purchasing Evapo-Rust.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 01:06:18 PM »
Wow, good tips!  Thanks I'll certainly look into this.  ;)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 03:34:19 PM »
 Thank You, Perry. I have never used Evapo-Rust, but I'd like to try it. I have been using POR-15 & Eastwood products with great results, but I am always willing to try something that, obviously, has been working well for others. What is the product size, weight, pounds or however it is packaged?                                         Thank You.      Jerry

Offline ppc66

• My mustang pics
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 04:41:52 PM »
They sell it in 32Oz and 1 gallon jugs in most stores - From what I've read also 5 gallon buckets, 55 gallon barrels and other industrial quantities.

- Perry
Mustang Coupe, C4, DUI, CompCams 260, Addco 1", Renmachine Hella Conversion, CSRP Brakes/Spindles/Booster, Torque Thrusts.
☆☆☆Added January 2014☆☆☆
StreetOrTrack Front Bilstein Coilover System, Bilstein Rear Shocks, 4-1/2 leaf springs.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 05:51:05 PM »
 Thank You. I'll have to read up on how the proper way to use it is and how much coverage. 

priceless

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »
They sell it in 32Oz and 1 gallon jugs in most stores - From what I've read also 5 gallon buckets, 55 gallon barrels and other industrial quantities.

- Perry
Is that the one that is in a gray colored jug?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:30:11 PM by priceless »

Offline ppc66

• My mustang pics
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 11:14:13 PM »
That is the one. The gallon that AA sells is Part No. ER012.
There are a lot of threads on this site (and others) detailing usage and getting the longest life out of it.  The way I most recently used it was for cleaning up the backing plates and spring perches on my rear axle. I have the 7-1/4 rear and stood it on end in a 5 gallon bucket that had 2 gallons of evapo rust in it after removing the brake hardware.  Since 2 gallons doesn't quite come up high enough to reach the spring perches I used a small HF pond pump and some clear tubing to spray it where needed. The product needs to soak the part continually to work. Can't just spritz it on - it has to soak.  I left the axles/seals in the rear, and I don't believe the ER affected the seals.  For the rest of the axle housing I used sandpaper and wire brushing since those areas weren't that bad.  Over the past year I also messed around with white vinegar, electrolysis, sand blasting, muriatic and phosphoric acid. Those experiments might turn into another post... some of these rust removal topics can be quite polarizing and become unpleasant to read on other sites!

-Perry

-Perry
☆☆☆Added January 2014☆☆☆

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 01:44:15 AM »
 Most everyone has a method for everything they do that works for them. But, by keeping an open mind, you may find a way to do things that you like even better. Sharing ideas should not bring ridicule.

Offline rodster

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »
Yea, feel free to share anything you learned, I know I'm always interested in knowing more.

I did find Evaporust can be effective by 'spritzing' on with a pump sprayer followed by a wire brush if repeated many times on parts that are too big or can not be removed.  The downsides are more than likely any factory paint markings would be lost by wire brushing and it's somewhat wasteful since more Evaporust is probably used compared to soaking and it takes more time.

But it can be done.  ;)

I added a little detergent to the spray to help create a foam that would stay on the surface longer.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 08:29:05 AM »
Thanks for posting.  I normally only buy 5 gallon quantities.  O'Reilly auto parts has it on their website with free shipping, usually around $80-90.  If you're just doing fasteners, a gallon will go a while, but nice to be able to soak the bigger stuff.  I tried evapo-rust in an ultrasonic cleaner, seemed to be quicker.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »
I've also wondered about pumping it across things too and mentioned trying it in another thread about E.R.. I have to wonder how quickly it evaporates when pumped and until a need might present itself, submersion seems to be the best option. Wheels might only use about 8 gallons to submerge if a tank or pan is close to the diameter of the wheel, keeping in mind it can be flipped over and/or completely submerged. I like the idea of the rain gutter on driveshafts. If we think about it, chances are we can find something already in our junk collection or at the nearby harware store that closely fits the job task we have. With all that replacement parts cost and add in the magic this product seems to pull off, it looks like most of us could get by on 5-7 gallons and get everything we could use it on done for around $100 of product. How much is YOUR time worth by the hour? Restoration shops get typically +++$75/hour to do the work.

I am willing to try anything once, starting on smaller projects and then moving up towards the larger ones. Translation: I'll buy a couple gallons and use it on a few of the smaller things and then plan to buy a 5-gallon supply as I figure things out.

Keep posting YOUR ideas here or other areas of this site. NEW ideas are not always better but FAILED attempts help others too, so by all means share all experiences with this (or these) type of products!...ALL, The GOOD, The BAD & the UGLY!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline hopeto

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 09:26:33 AM »
Wheels might only use about 8 gallons to submerge if a tank or pan is close to the diameter of the wheel
The plastic oil drain pan for a diesel that you find at some Walmarts and auto parts store worked perfectly for me to soak 14" styled steel wheels. Holds around 4 gallons. The wheel barely fits through the top and more than half is submerged. Soak, flip wheel over, repeat. The plus is the oil drain pan has a spout to then pour the EV back into gallon jugs. I pour mine through a paint filter to remove anything large.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »
I use a 4 inch PVC pipe with a cap on one end for driveshaft's. It takes about 1.5 gallons.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »
 Some very good ideas. I was going to ask about saving and re-using E.R., but you answered that for us all. Thank You. Do you put the 'used' product (after straining) back in the container with the new?  Or different container?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:32:22 AM by Smokey 15 »

Offline ppc66

• My mustang pics
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 11:58:05 PM »
Some very good ideas. I was going to as about saving and re-using E.R., but you answered that for us all. Thank You. Do you put the 'used' product (after straining) back in the container with the new?  Or different container?
p

I've been doing this exact thing tonight. I used my little fountain pump wrapped in a rag to strain and pumo out what was in my soak bucket into 3 of the original containers.  In a fourth I placed a funnel jammed with a coffee filter under a scotch brite pad into the funnel outlet and filled the funnel with ER from one of the other 3 containers. It's trickling into the fourth container now and I'll take pics of the the result of flitering compared to not filtering through the filter. Its pretty dark looking because despite my best efforts to degrease some parts (e-brake cable) idk if I did well enough.

The ER in the measuring cup is filtered, it is a little lighter than the one in the jar.  The brake cable came out pretty well compared to what it started as.

☆☆☆Added January 2014☆☆☆