1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

Ball Joints 67, Upper and Lower Arm Rebuilding

(1/16) > >>

67gtasanjose:
My question is if I am restoring my 67 Upper and lower Arms, what is the best source of a quality replacement ball joint or ball joint boot without buying NOS Ball Joints at over $250 each or just a NOS boot for $200 a pair?

Not going for THOROUGHBRED ever but trying to get really close to Concours as practical. ( I just watched these parts go crazy on eBay, NO WAY I'll go that route on this project)

67gta289:
Richard,

I used Moog ball joints.  Riveted in using a hydraulic press.  In the past I've used a "Rosie the riveter" type tool, but they can be very unwieldy and noisy compared to the slow and steady press.

For the dust shields I used the reproductions available from NPD.  Like most reproduction parts, I would classify them as a reasonable facsimile of the original, but not exact.

A word of caution though - after mine were installed I found that on one of the two wheels, the upper ball joint dust shield center metal ring was binding on the ball joint stud.  The ID of the boot was smaller than the OD of the stud where it ended up residing when everything was torqued down.   As I moved the spindle to simulate steering from end to end, the interference resulted in a partially pulled out boot out of the retaining ring that was riveted in.  Fortunately I was able to get a jewelers file in the right position to remove enough material to eliminate the binding, and slip the boot back under the ring.  I recommend test fitting when on the bench, before the rivets are installed.  Hopefully I'm painting the picture sufficiently.

J_Speegle:
Moog riveted in with the proper boot.

ruppstang:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on September 07, 2016, 05:15:39 PM ---Moog riveted in with the proper boot.

--- End quote ---

+1 Marty

67gtasanjose:
 :D
OK, final throws of preparing for this task...

1.) Correct Boots; Upper and Lowers ~CHECK
2.) MOOG Upper Ball Joints ~CHECK
3.) Original Lower Ball Joints (re-usable) ~CHECK
4.) Reproduction Lower B J boot retainer & gasket kits ~CHECK

NEEDS or more info needed:
1.) What UPPER Ball Joint boot retainer should I use? (the ones supplied by MOOG?)
2.) What tooling to install the rivets? (I have a 20-ton press & high quality air-chisel). Wanting to reproduce the "waffle pattern" that should be on original uppers.
3.) ORIGINAL UPPERS were replaced years ago; could use image of direction & Type of rivets originally used. (for Nov. 66 San Jose car)
4.) Are the replacement lower boot retainers Va. Classic sells OK to use or should I consider sending originals out for re-plating.

I'm sure I'll have other questions pending some of these answers. Thanks in advance ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version