1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 - 70 Shelby

Space Saver Spare Tire Felt

(1/3) > >>

ninedrvr:
The decal for space saver spare tires doesn't show the presence of a felt pad but I've seen the pad in some of the restored 69 Shelbys. Was the pad used from Ford or is just some folks trying to protect the paint on their spare wheel?

Coralsnake:
It is the way the cars came from Shelby.

J_Speegle:
+1 to Pete's comment

--- Quote from: ninedrvr on November 04, 2022, 07:59:46 AM ---The decal for space saver spare tires doesn't show the presence of a felt pad
--- End quote ---

You will notice that the jacking instructions show the pad

--- Quote from: ninedrvr on November 04, 2022, 07:59:46 AM --- but I've seen the pad in some of the restored 69 Shelby's.
--- End quote ---

Not always the best source of reliable information ;)

--- Quote from: ninedrvr on November 04, 2022, 07:59:46 AM --- Was the pad used from Ford or is just some folks trying to protect the paint on their spare wheel?

--- End quote ---

Since there appears to only be a couple of examples in the Unrestored Picture thread with both Boss and Shelby's here are some more unrestored/original examples. Have plenty more

And while we are on the subject and because you will find them on unrestored/original cars don't apply either of these two stickers on your spare. They were part of a "safety campaign" after the model year and sent to all registered (with Ford) owners who were told to install them. NOT original

ninedrvr:
Was that the only jacking instructions decal used on these cars?  I've tried to find 69 Shelbys that look unrestored under the trunk lid and it seems that decal, the one for styled steel wheels was one of two I'm finding. The other decal was the one for a space saver spare which doesn't show the felt, though it may still have been used.

ninedrvr:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on November 04, 2022, 07:30:50 PM ---And while we are on the subject and because you will find them on unrestored/original cars don't apply either of these two stickers on your spare. They were part of a "safety campaign" after the model year and sent to all registered (with Ford) owners who were told to install them. NOT original

--- End quote ---

Another question I have is about where the line is drawn for judging. Why is the spare decal considered "NOT original" when it was a modification that was given by the manufacturer? That makes me think that the GT500 fuel vapor recall/campaign should also be considered not original. I don't think the GT500s  come out of Dearborn that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version