1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1968 Shelby

1968 GT350 Coil Location

(1/2) > >>

Shelby2000:
Anybody know the correct location of coil and bracket with an aluminum S2MS intake? I have seen them located 1. Nestled on the passenger side of intake facing forward and 2. on the driver's side front of the block, facing up. I have read that Shelby installed them in both locations; my preference is location 1., but the bracket puts it too far into the valve cover, or when reversing bracket, too far into the intake runner. How were they mounted in this location? Not an issue on CI manifilds because there is a threaded location in the manifold.

Thanks,

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Shelby2000 on September 22, 2023, 04:04:48 PM ---Anybody know the correct location of coil and bracket with an aluminum S2MS intake? I have seen them located 1. Nestled on the passenger side of intake facing forward and 2. on the driver's side front of the block, facing up. I have read that Shelby installed them in both locations; my preference is location 1., but the bracket puts it too far into the valve cover, or when reversing bracket, too far into the intake runner. How were they mounted in this location? Not an issue on CI manifilds because there is a threaded location in the manifold.

Thanks,

--- End quote ---
First off you need to be aware that there is a 66 style S2MS intake and another later style used starting in late 67 production and dealers used for recalls in 68 with larger S2MS numbers and letters that has a threaded provision to mount the coil on the intake just like the cast 68 iron intakes.  This large number later S2MS intake is virtually identical to the S7MS intake also used.  The driver side coil mounting is a non factory location.

Bob Gaines:
 It reads like from the S2MS intake you describe that is without the threaded mounting for the coil is the wrong early style intake. You need the later version S7MS intake or the large number and letter S2MS intake.

Bob Gaines:
Here is a picture of the later S2MS intake with the threaded provision for the coil.

Shelby2000:
Thanks; that clears things up. I do have an earlier manifols without the boss/mounting threads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version