Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

Alternator Ink Stamp Discussion

<< < (12/12)

carlite65:
+1. in a concours setting i would deduct for workmanship.

lightwtjet:
   I was surprised that my attempt at making an imprint fell short for a MCA showing. I have tried to use original parts like my alternator when possible as many on this site have.
  The imprint topic started in 2009 and shows that an amazing 10,000 people have viewed it. And 460 have viewed my post showing my imprint attempt. Over the years, a handful of people have suggested various ways to simulate or buy an imprint and the ones shown are noticeably different than the original. I have to wonder if anybody has successfully duplicated the imprint to MCA standards for their own alternator. I was told the MCA requirement is stated like this " alternator must have correct amperage ink stamp".  Duplicating this very small (7/8 inch tall) imprint is further complicated by the data along the bottom that is only 1/8 inch tall. For those who want to use an original alternator what can we do?
Thanks for all the help in restoring my car. I look forward to sharing my experiences and opinions along the way.
Attached is the view of the alternator in the engine compartment.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: lightwtjet on March 21, 2024, 12:28:33 AM ---   I was surprised that my attempt at making an imprint fell short for a MCA showing. I have tried to use original parts like my alternator when possible as many on this site have.
  The imprint topic started in 2009 and shows that an amazing 10,000 people have viewed it. And 460 have viewed my post showing my imprint attempt. Over the years, a handful of people have suggested various ways to simulate or buy an imprint and the ones shown are noticeably different than the original. I have to wonder if anybody has successfully duplicated the imprint to MCA standards for their own alternator. I was told the MCA requirement is stated like this " alternator must have correct amperage ink stamp".  Duplicating this very small (7/8 inch tall) imprint is further complicated by the data along the bottom that is only 1/8 inch tall. For those who want to use an original alternator what can we do?
Thanks for all the help in restoring my car. I look forward to sharing my experiences and opinions along the way.
Attached is the view of the alternator in the engine compartment.

--- End quote ---
Close can be like horse shoe and hand grenades. Not meant to be rude but the reality is that your attempt at the ink stamp is on the wrong end of that close spectrum. There are many that have been able to make exact stamps. Dead nuts on is one example of a identical exact ink stamps .Go to his website and use his as a yardstick.  https://www.deadnutson.com/1968-ford-alternators-parts/    .  Others have worked on the art work and had stamps made up. There are people on EBAY that sometimes sell them but some are closer then others . Where there is a will there is a way.   The concours rules are meant to encourage a historical look. How you get there is the challenge. It is routine to find alternators stamped with correct amperage and even though it is not spelled out the correct  engineering numbers along with close enough lettering that it doesn't look out of place is expected too. I should also mention that the exact original alternator front and back case is expected .That is not a big trick given there were literally millions produced. Sometime you have to mix and match but they are out there as rebuilds ,junk yards etc. If you or anyone reading is not sure what they need you can go to the Dead Nuts On website and see the pictures and information that he has laid out. That is if you like to DIY like many of us. Jack also sells ready to go concours detailed alternators also if you would rather put your time in other places. With that said there are a lot of enthusiasts out there that have been able to get the job done. Don't get frustrated this forum is here to help.   

tobkob:
[quote Dead nuts on is one example of a identical exact ink stamps][/quote]

+1...about 10-12 years ago I sent mine to them for a stamp and he also tumbled it... I was very pleased with their work...

TOB

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: lightwtjet on March 21, 2024, 12:28:33 AM ---   I was surprised that my attempt at making an imprint fell short for a MCA showing. I have tried to use original parts like my alternator when possible as many on this site have.
  The imprint topic started in 2009 and shows that an amazing 10,000 people have viewed it. And 460 have viewed my post showing my imprint attempt. Over the years, a handful of people have suggested various ways to simulate or buy an imprint and the ones shown are noticeably different than the original.
--- End quote ---

Looking at what has been posted all are of originals except for one side by side (one attempt verses Jacks reproduction) has been posted from what I saw looking through the thread

--- Quote from: lightwtjet on March 21, 2024, 12:28:33 AM ---I have to wonder if anybody has successfully duplicated the imprint to MCA standards for their own alternator. I was told the MCA requirement is stated like this " alternator must have correct amperage ink stamp".
--- End quote ---

As has been mentioned many times on this site and others . What is written in the judging sheets and rules is only a very very small amount of what judges are looking at and evaluating at MCA shows. There is not enough space nor would someone want to pay for the expense nor carry such a book for each individual set of sheets that would be required if everything was listed. Often the notes show something recently added or something the judges don't want over looked/forgotten. Over time the well know (by that year) and enforced details are well established and dropped out of print to make room for newer details and reminders

--- Quote from: lightwtjet on March 21, 2024, 12:28:33 AM --- Duplicating this very small (7/8 inch tall) imprint is further complicated by the data along the bottom that is only 1/8 inch tall. For those who want to use an original alternator what can we do?
--- End quote ---

As has been mentioned your left with purchasing a stamp that someone else has spent efforts and time trying to get correct, do what you did or pay someone else to stamp.

As mentioned we are here to help and often the help comes with a direct response and not always one that is glossed over since tons of people (members and non-members) read the posts every day and letting details that are not correct without a mention and some hopefully helpful comments will help others reading and viewing the exchanges. If they are not caught and comments the details will just be duplicated over and over on other cars only to be discovered by those owners later.

We have seen this over and over again during the past 40 years of doing this in one form or another. Better to find out before a car is taken to a show considering all the possible costs, time and effort that takes for many.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version