Author Topic: Brake Drum Casting Numbers  (Read 262 times)

Offline 3 Pedals

Brake Drum Casting Numbers
« on: March 16, 2024, 09:37:20 PM »
Hello All, would you help explain the casting numbers on the outer rim of these brake drums please? The drums are 10 X 2 1/2"
The casting reads      KH   3   G127  5043D 

A second question, the Parking Brake Link and the Parking Brake Lever that came with these drums are stamped Kelsey Hayes for one side and Bendix for the other side. I assume that KH are original? But either will work?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 02:35:18 AM by 3 Pedals »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake Drum Casting Numbers
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 10:36:02 PM »
Hello All, would you help explain the casting numbers on the outer rim of these brake drums please? The drums are 10 X 2 1/2"
The casting reads      KH   3   G127  5043D 

A second question, the Parking Brake Link and the Parking Brake Lever that came with these drums are stamped Kelsey Hayes for one side and Bendix for the other side. I assume that KH are original? But either will work?

Thanks,
Jeff
Both MFG supplied the same plant so both MFG are original . I am guessing that you are working on a SJ built Mustang that became a Shelby given the 2 1/2 inch drums. I sometimes see one side KH and the otherside Bendix on SJ Shelby's that I have worked on . Other times both sides had the same MFG parts. The backing plate was pre loaded with ether Bendix or KH parts when it arrived to Ford from the mfg. There would not be a mixture of both on the same backing plate. All of the parts would be from the same MFG. The backing plate, marked levers, other hardware and even the rubber plugs (when used) were MFG. specific.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 3 Pedals

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 01:23:39 AM »
After more web searches, I finally found an answer to the date codes on the KH drums. The format is month/day of month/year. On my drum G127 decodes
G = July
12 = day of month
7 = 1967

The 5043D casting I believe is the KH part number for the 10 X 2 1/2 inch drum.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 10:47:35 AM by 3 Pedals »

Offline 3 Pedals

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 10:18:48 AM »
Bob, thank you for reply. If I understand the last sentence of your post correctly, the entire drum assembly would be manufacturer specific including backing plates and drums. In all my searches to learn about the 10 X 2 1/2 brakes, I have not seen a reference to Bendix backing plates or drums. Only Kelsey Hayes backing plates and drums. How can I identify original Bendix parts? Were the Bendix backing plates stamped like the KH backing plates? If so, what were the numbers? Did the Bendix drums have casting numbers like the KH drums and what should I look for?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 10:24:52 AM by 3 Pedals »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 PM »
Bob, thank you for reply. If I understand the last sentence of your post correctly, the entire drum assembly would be manufacturer specific including backing plates and drums. In all my searches to learn about the 10 X 2 1/2 brakes, I have not seen a reference to Bendix backing plates or drums. Only Kelsey Hayes backing plates and drums. How can I identify original Bendix parts? Were the Bendix backing plates stamped like the KH backing plates? If so, what were the numbers? Did the Bendix drums have casting numbers like the KH drums and what should I look for?
In regards to the 65,66,67 2 1/2  rear brake  the backing plate assembly is MFG specific including internal components that are marked. I am not convinced until more evidence presents itself that the drums were part of the backing plate assembly . The Bendix backing plates have a Bendix trademark and the same backing plate number as the KH . I have seen the E brake lever MFG marked, some times the brake shoe lever link retainer and metal core of the shoes . The rubber plugs on those backing plates that didn't have knock outs had a texture cross hatch pattern in the rubber for the KH ones and a 8A2092 on the Bendix ones.The other small parts are not typically marked .   
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 01:17:20 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 3 Pedals

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 01:34:56 PM »
Bob, thank you for sharing your knowledge in detail on the brake parts and I learned something new today. I very much appreciate your time.