Author Topic: 66 GT350 tach question  (Read 6443 times)

Offline dbm350

66 GT350 tach question
« on: December 24, 2010, 11:06:25 AM »
    Does anybody know  the correct type of screw is to mount the tach to the dashpad ?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 GT350 tach question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 05:24:10 PM »
On mine and the other originals I've seen they have a regular pan head Phillips head screw

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 05:45:19 PM »
On mine and the other originals I've seen they have a regular pan head Phillips head screw

+1 . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dbm350

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:49:01 PM »
   Thanks guys. Always good info here.    Doug

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:53:55 PM »
These were on 6S1757 when I bought it in 1987. I have no reason to believe they aren't OE but the original tach died and was replaced in late 1967 so that may be a factor. I have seen the same exact style on other cars but the style in Jeff's picture I have seen much more often.

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:28:21 PM »
These were on 6S1757 when I bought it in 1987. I have no reason to believe they aren't OE but the original tach died and was replaced in late 1967 so that may be a factor. I have seen the same exact style on other cars but the style in Jeff's picture I have seen much more often.

Haven't seen those used before - not sure but looked at pictures of other cars in the #1600's-1800's I have (some of those could be changed) but the ones I can make out are the same as I posted.

Thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 04:56:45 PM »
Dave,

Is the back of your tac painted the crinkle black?  I read somewhere that if the tac was replaced it wouldn't have the black crinkle, can some one confirm that?  My dad's Hertz car had the tac stolen while it was in transit from Shelby to the Hertz dealer in Miami (has the claim from Shelby and the railroad company), and the back of his tac is chrome...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »
Dave,

Is the back of your tac painted the crinkle black?  I read somewhere that if the tac was replaced it wouldn't have the black crinkle, can some one confirm that?  My dad's Hertz car had the tac stolen while it was in transit from Shelby to the Hertz dealer in Miami (has the claim from Shelby and the railroad company), and the back of his tac is chrome...
The chrome back is how the majority of the service units were sold and is the basis for the current general consensus that the tachs that were replaced under warranty and otherwise , ended up with the chrome rear cup. The assemblyline units were meant to be the black wrinkle . If the factory units made it through the first 6 months to two years the failure rate dropped exponentially.  Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 09:26:58 PM »
Dave,

Chris,

The tach housing and mounting bracket are crinkle black (pic below) and are just as when I bought the car, other than cleaning I haven't touched them. That brings up anoher question....when an original tach failed was the whole thing replaced or just the tach itself reusing the OE housing and bracket? I'm not positive but believe my tach was replaced by the original dealer, Hi-Performance Motors.

Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 11:12:47 PM »
Chris,

The tach housing and mounting bracket are crinkle black (pic below) and are just as when I bought the car, other than cleaning I haven't touched them. That brings up anoher question....when an original tach failed was the whole thing replaced or just the tach itself reusing the OE housing and bracket? I'm not positive but believe my tach was replaced by the original dealer, Hi-Performance Motors.

Dave
Dave,since the service if it took place would most likely have been done at a dealer I would guess that the rocket scientists that many dealers had working for them took the path of least resistance and changed out the whole unit which is the reason for current theory of the chrome units originating from service replacements. Although uncommon IMHO I have to think that some service man back in the day would use independent thought and realize that the black wrinkle finish cup should be used and changed out the back before installing. If you take the cup off the back of the unit and it will have a date stamped on the inside tach housing. This date and how it relates to your car may give you a better idea of replacement or not. Bob 

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 04:17:45 PM »
Thanks Bob. The tach pictured above has a June 67 date code. When I bought the car in 1987 I assumed it was the original tach but at that time was unfamiliar with the subtle differences between OE 66 tachs and early service replacements. I took the tach apart a few years later to restore it and discovered the date code proving it was not original. It was in such good shape I just cleaned the inside glass surface, repainted the redline pointer which had faded a little, and put it back together. It's still working perfectly today. When I finally tracked down the original owner he confirmed the original tach died and was replaced about a year after he bought the car.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:19:59 PM by s2ms »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:55:31 AM »
Thanks Bob. The tach pictured above has a June 67 date code. When I bought the car in 1987 I assumed it was the original tach but at that time was unfamiliar with the subtle differences between OE 66 tachs and early service replacements. I took the tach apart a few years later to restore it and discovered the date code proving it was not original. It was in such good shape I just cleaned the inside glass surface, repainted the redline pointer which had faded a little, and put it back together. It's still working perfectly today. When I finally tracked down the original owner he confirmed the original tach died and was replaced about a year after he bought the car.

Dave
Dave,a nice tid bit of the cars history so button up the back of your tach and don't give it another thought. It looks the way it is supposed to on the outside. Bob

Offline dan green

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 10:36:15 AM »
+1 on Jeff's.
This is #455, regular pan head screws.  Not a real close up but you can see what they are.  Pretty sure the dash pad has never been out.
This car also has over rides.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
+1 on Jeff's.
This is #455, regular pan head screws.  Not a real close up but you can see what they are.  Pretty sure the dash pad has never been out.
This car also has over rides.
Dan ,it appears that although the pan head screws are consistent with what we mostly see, the finish on the cup and dash bracket appear not to be the normal black wrinkle. I only mention it so others reading will not be confused. Bob