Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

C8 AE-A water pump

(1/4) > >>

ruppstang:
I have a remanufactured C8 AE -A water pump. I have been trying to find what the small block application is. I am building a 68 J code 302 and what I have found is that it came with a C8 AE-J or a C8 OE-D.

If the C8 AE-A is not correct I will have to rebuild one of the other pumps.

jwc66k:
I have on the shelf, a cast iron pump with a casting number of C8OA-D for small blocks. I got it several years back from NPD. That's about as much as I know.
Jim

67gta289:
Did you check Mannels?s book?  I can check later if needed

ruppstang:

--- Quote from: 67gta289 on February 10, 2022, 04:38:20 AM ---Did you check Mannel's book?  I can check later if needed

--- End quote ---

Yes I did check, and he only mentions the C8AE-J and the C8OE-D. That is why I am trying to find out about the C8AE-A. Service replacement?

67gta289:
I'm assuming that the numbers you provided are what is often called a "casting number", which as we know can have a direct or indirect (and sometimes obtuse) relationship with the service part number. 

Nevertheless I took a look at a few versions of the MPC, which occasionally will list the casting number in the description, which correlates directly to a service part number, and therefore vehicle/engine applicability (applicability from a service perspective, not necessarily what was done at the factory).   It is not simple as you know.  But there was no fruit there.

I went to the OSI manual and found some part numbers (service part numbers) that were in the range of the numbers you provided.  Once again, this may not help at all due to the "casting" vs. "service" part number issue. 

It lists a C8AZ-8501-A that was replaced by a C8AZ-8501-B that was in turn replaced by a D0AZ-8501-D which was then replaced by a D4TZ-8501-H, which was the available part in July of 1979.  Picture attached.

Going backwards, the D0AZ-8501-D was listed in the 1975 version of the 65-72 MPC, and the applications are all FE engines.  Since you were looking in Mannel's book, I'll further assume that the water pump you are asking about is for a small block.  Therefore my exercise was a bust.

Knowing that, it now makes sense that the latest version (D4) was designed for the truck (T) line; by 1974 the FE was only being used in trucks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version