Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

Orange paint on the driveshaft

(1/2) > >>

lightwtjet:
Several websites and the Perkins 70 Boss car describe bright orange paint on driveline parts- portions of the yokes front and rear and the tips of the driveshaft-front and rear. Why would Ford do that?  Thanks   

J_Speegle:
The orange color found on driveline ends/yokes does not apply to all years for our classic years and method of marking the end yokes is not the same for all years and applications either from the examples I've found and documented.   

Yokes were often identified by a color code so that workers assembling the drivelines could choose the correct front and rear yokes for the driveline they were building. The station likely had dozens of different ones and like other things related to our cars a color identification was the quickest way for a worker to identify the right piece quickly.

As for driveline markings you have identification markings for the worker on the car assembly line so they they could locate and install the correct one for a particular car while there is often additional stripes and markings identifying other practices and checks that were applied during the driveline assembly process

lightwtjet:
  I just replaced my U Joints - Here is a picture-

Anghelrestorations:
Is that orange paint based on what was there originally?  I have seen orange on the front yoke itself and have photos of that. 

J_Speegle:
Have a fair number of orange yokes on drivelines in the later 60's also have pink and other colors. All IMHO related to the size and in turn quick ID for the person assembling the drivelines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version