Author Topic: Ivy Gold and White Pony Seats  (Read 844 times)

Offline ivygreen

Ivy Gold and White Pony Seats
« on: November 11, 2023, 04:39:21 PM »
Reproduction seat covers for the Ivy Gold and White Pony Interior are incorrect in that the "pony" panel should be a darker green than the rest of the upholstery. Does anyone happen to know what color that panel is supposed to be? I'd like to buy dye, but my original seats are way too far gone to ever get a color match

Online rockhouse66

Re: Ivy Gold and White Pony Seats
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 05:42:12 PM »
I have already walked this road with my car.  Good friend and Forum Member John Murphy made it happen for his car and mine so hopefully he will respond.  It took SMS Fabric, TMI and help from NPD to make new covers correctly.

I think I may still have a piece of original seat material but I won't be back in my shop until Spring.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 06:34:03 PM »
The TMI covers are incorrect in almost every way!  The green color TMI used when Jim and I started this quest was too grey - and I mean way TOO grey.  The white was just that,  white when the originals were more of a pearl.  Neither color had the "iridescence" of color that the originals possessed.  The "pony" panels from TMI were, as you pointed out, not the correct darker color.  I tossed the set I purchased in the trash.  Did not even attempt to sell them as they just simply were nothing like the originals.  But back to your question, the correct color for the pony panels will be a good match to the color used on the dash pad material.  Kind of an olive color would be a description.  We sourced the original white iridescent material along with the correct light iridescent  green from SMS    in what they describe as NOS material, and matched the olive green for the panels in the back of the seat, had the material shipped to TMI and they sewed the covers and stamped the pony panels from the darker "olive" material we also purchased in NOS color. Do  not overlook the fact you will need extra material in order to wrap the incorrect welt.  Be warned there is far more cost involved in doing it this way but there was just NO OTHER way to get acceptable results.  I made a contact with a sales representative  at TMI while at SEMA , but he is no longer there.  I think if you talk to either Scott Halseth at NPD or Brandt Halterman at Virginia Classic Mustang you can still have arrangements made to have the material you furnish used in the covers.  BE warned that SMS is neither prompt nor inexpensive so be prepared to wait.  Good luck, and if you choose this route you will be pleased with the results.  I still do not know why the light green and pearl interior being sold is so far from accurate, but I guess not enough folks hold the vendors feet to the fire so they have no incentive to provide more accurate products.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline ivygreen

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 09:28:38 PM »
Gentlemen - Thank you SO much for your replies. I had no idea the possibility of custom covers using customer-supplied vinyl may exist. My plan was to try to dye the darker panel to approximate the original and go with it. Assuming everyone will work with me, that may have just changed. I'd love to say cost was still a consideration, but I'm well beyond that point.

A couple of follow-up questions if I may, before I call Virginia Mustang and NPD on Monday.

1) Did anyone happen to keep record of exactly what vinyl from SMS was used? Does SMS perhaps know what it is? My car is so far gone (including being completely submerged in salt water during Hurricane Isabel), that there's just no possibility of matching colors with any accuracy.

2) Once you were able to get the seats right, what did you do about the white door panels? It occurs to me that they wouldn't match the pearlescent center section on the seats. Maybe they never matched. I don't know.

Thank you again. I truly appreciate your replies.

Chris

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 12:17:06 AM »
SMS has the original interior books with swatches, so if you supply them with your original interior code and info about the car, they should be able to send samples. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Online rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 08:41:42 AM »
I don't know if there is a record at TMI or at SMS that would help, but here is the info off the shipping box.  The work order number might mean something to TMI.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 08:43:48 AM by rockhouse66 »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline ivygreen

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 08:44:40 PM »
Thank you again, gentlemen. I spoke with Scott Halseth at NPD today to get the ball rolling and ordered the Ivy Gold and White vinyl from SMS. The only mystery outstanding is the vinyl for the darker embossed panel. Hopefully, I can figure that out.

Online rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 07:59:53 AM »
I thought the dark panel also came from SMS? 
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Murf

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 10:51:36 AM »
That is correct, Jim.  The dark panel was also from SMS, and the material was sent to TMI along with the white and lighter gren where they embossed it with the "pony" and incorporated it in the covers.  I do not know the name or  color used but it matched the olive green of the original dash vinyl.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 05:45:58 AM »
I know it's been a few months since the last post on this, but for future reference, I purchased mine from SMS and had the seats done by a local guy. The SMS part numbers are:
Ivy Gold: L-2285
White: L-2290
I can't say what the embossed part is because I had my guy reuse my original. That color, as mentioned previously, is a good match to the dash pad and the dash to windshield trim.
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974