Author Topic: 1967 AM Radio Bracket - with console  (Read 3537 times)

Offline 7R02A

1967 AM Radio Bracket - with console
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:07:58 PM »
Bring up old topic.  I am trying to install my radio with console bracket as pictured above.  The bracket I have doesn't match the holes in the dash.  The holes in my bracket are 7 3/4" from center to center and the dash is 8 3/4".  The bracket matches the width of the console perfect.  My car originally had a console so I am confused as to what is going on.  The console and bracket were out of the car when I purchased it.  Is there another car line that had similar brackets but a different width?  Could someone please Measure theirs that is known to fit?  Thanks, John.

moderator note: split from WANTED section and moved here for discussion ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:14:38 PM by J_Speegle »
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1967 AM Radio Bracket - with console
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »
No picture?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:59:31 PM »
1st, it doesn't matter if it is an AM Radio or any other factory optional radio, ON CONSOLE EQUIPPED 67-68 Mustangs & Cougars,  there are three brackets that secure the radio to the dash along with (at the same time) securing the front of the console to the dash.

The holes used to mount these brackets into the dash of my 11/2/66 built Mustang are just over 7 inches (7-1/8")

The top, or long bracket is about 8-1/4' long

The two "stepper" brackets that hold everything (radio & console) to the dash have several bends in them, contorting from the console to the dash to the previously mentioned 8-1/4" long bracket.

Without your picture, it is difficult to see what you have, if it is correct or if you are assembling it incorrectly.
Like Marty asked...

PICTURE????

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
No picture?

Think that might be because it was split from another thread in a different part of the site which had a picture in another that post. - Happens  ::)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:14:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:55:51 PM »
Think that might be because it was split from another thread in a different part of the site which had a picture in another post. - Happens  ::)

You just cannot trust the "government"  ;D  ;)  ::)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:47:02 PM »
The original post did have a picture before the split.  No harm no foul.   Attached is a picture of my bracket.  Radio is an 8 track with AM.  As mentioned, this should not matter.  Thanks for any help you can provide.  John
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 10:46:46 PM »
That looks like the correct brackets, where are you measuring from?
Richard Urch

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 10:59:45 PM »
The center to center of the threaded holes in the bracket where it attaches to the underside of the dash (7 3/4"). Other measurement is the holes in the dash just below the radio opening (8 3/4").  Any chance you would have a bracket that you know is correct and could measure the distance between the holes?
John

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 07:53:59 AM »
The center to center of the threaded holes in the bracket where it attaches to the underside of the dash (7 3/4").

Mine measures 7 1/2" center to center here. I think you have the correct parts (brackets)

Other measurement is the holes in the dash just below the radio opening (8 3/4"). 

On my example, I have found 4 holes (each approximately 1/4" in diameter) along the bottom of the dash, below the center of the radio opening area and through the channel that supports the very bottom of the metal dash panel. The 2 outermost of these 4 holes are used to secure the radio bracket (assembly). The outermost holes measure 7 1/8" apart,  this is the measurement I gave earlier in another comment.

What I have done to give you these measurements is I have ran a strip of masking tape along these holes so I can measure between them all (all 4). These are as exact as I can get you at this time.

Beginning at the hole that is closest to the ash tray, we'll call that hole#1, it is one of the holes used to bolt the bracket assembly down.
Measuring over to hole #2, is 3 9/16" away. I believe this is the "center" hole used for cars without a console to support the radio.
Measuring again from hole #1, the next hole is 6" away. I cannot remember if this hole was used at this time.
The last hole is 7 1/8" away from the first hole. This would be the 2nd hole used to bolt the bracket assembly down.

John, is it possible your dash panel has been changed or altered some how? I couldn't really find anything matching the 8 3/4" measurement directly below the radio opening on my example.

Richard

Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:53:19 AM »
Hopefully these pictures could help.  The blue painters tape is just holding the mounting screws in place so they don't get lost.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 11:56:53 AM »
John's (67gta289) bracket in image #1 looks to measure what the O.P. describes his to measure.

Mine is as I described in my earlier comment this morning.

Obviously, Ford was all over the place with these.

It is possible some of the individual holes were drilled by line workers while assembling the car, making them unique to each car as an assembly. I'd have to look again in my screws for my console (they are stored separate from the radio bracket bolts) but I'd like to look at the two larger flat-style screws that secure the sides of the console to the radio brackets, My question is, are those two screws self-drilling, and/or self-tapping? I cannot recall for sure but it might be those screws were drilled into the brackets on the assembly line and may be uniquely located for each car, making also the radio brackets and consoles unique to one assembly (if this logic holds true)

We'll get it figured out. I know my radio brackets, console and dash are all original to my build so no mixed up pieces on this example.

Richard
Richard Urch

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 09:36:55 PM »
Ok.  I measured both brackets I have and got the same dimensions that you got.  The only thing different is distance between the two screws that bolt it to the dash.  See attached pictures.  You said 7 1/8th and I am measuring 7 3/4" on both brackets.  The measurement I gave for the holes in the dash was wrong.  I measured wrong or wrote them down wrong.  My dash measures 7 1/8th like yours.  Still have not figured out why my two brackets are different in this one dimension.  Looks like my only option is to re-drill new holes in the bracket.  Puzzling?  Thanks to all who helped.  Probably won't drill new holes for a few days, so if anyone thinks of anything else please chime in.  John
John

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 09:57:36 PM »
Those brackets will push over and reach the holes you have in the dash, they will flex if nothing else or loosen the two side bolts, test fit everything and tighten them down. IMHO, I wouldn't drill anything if I could help it.
Richard Urch