Author Topic: 1966 Hertz Glass  (Read 1314 times)

Offline LouisGT350H

1966 Hertz Glass
« on: April 10, 2022, 06:35:24 PM »
Hi

I am restoring a 66 Hertz, and I noticed some very original cars have the vin etched on the glass.

Was this a factory or dealer done thing?
Also if your windows are etched with the vin does this affect concourse judging?

Regards

Lou

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 Hertz Glass
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 07:23:01 PM »
Never seen the glass etched with the VIN. Very easy to see that this might be a auto thief thing but not sure why you would want to mark the glass (not many stealing cars for the windows) of all things. IMHO this would not be something the dealer would have done or even considered by an owner in the 60's

If this was seen at a judged show would expect the judges to deduct for this modification unless (and I really doubt this would be found) there was original dealership paperwork that showed that this was done before the sale of the car.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 09:14:55 PM »
Never seen the glass etched with the VIN. Very easy to see that this might be a auto thief thing but not sure why you would want to mark the glass (not many stealing cars for the windows) of all things. IMHO this would not be something the dealer would have done or even considered by an owner in the 60's

If this was seen at a judged show would expect the judges to deduct for this modification unless (and I really doubt this would be found) there was original dealership paperwork that showed that this was done before the sale of the car.
+1 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline LouisGT350H

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 10:02:54 PM »
Thanks,  that's what I thought   appreciate your comments