Author Topic: Hertz Shelby Paint  (Read 1740 times)

Offline LouisGT350H

Hertz Shelby Paint
« on: January 28, 2023, 06:55:35 PM »
Hi
I am restoring a 66 hertz shelby, and I wish to confirm what the interior paint colour is for inside the trunk, the dash  and inside the shell?

I thought it was matt black, can someone confirm?

Thanks

Lou

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Hertz Shelby Paint
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 09:22:51 PM »
Hi
I am restoring a 66 hertz shelby, and I wish to confirm what the interior paint colour is for inside the trunk, the dash  and inside the shell?

I thought it was matt black, can someone confirm?

Thanks

Lou
The interior color is somewhere between a satin and semigloss black . Matt is a little too flat IMO. the inside of the trunk is body color. the dash is the black and inside the  body shell is body color. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 02:29:36 PM »
Hi

Should be a fair number of examples of the inside of the trunk in the Unrestored picture section of the site below. Though there are a number of 66 Shelbys in that section remember its the same details, as many are, any other San Jose built Mustang

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline LouisGT350H

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 10:28:12 PM »
Thanks for information

Can I please ask,   what is the best paint manufacture to use and what is the paint code for the raven black and Gold stripes?

to confirm :the boot colour is raven black same as all the exterior ( shinny) .
                 The interior same as exterior  ( shinny)
                 The engine bay a matt finish or same as exterior but not as shinny?

Regards

Lou

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 10:44:13 PM »
Thanks for information

Can I please ask,   what is the best paint manufacture to use and what is the paint code for the raven black and Gold stripes?

This is likely not going to be of much help since what is available or even legal in one location may not be in another area of the country or world. Also painters like to choose the type or brand of paint so that it works well wit the foundation they have applied before the body color and part of the "system"

to confirm :the boot colour is raven black same as all the exterior ( shinny) .

Yes exterior color was applied to the trunk and door jambs then these were somewhat closed while the exterior and separate body panels were painted the same color

The interior same as exterior  ( shinny)

No its a different black and a different final look. It was a low gloss. So many different names for the particular look your trying to obtain

The engine bay a matt finish or same as exterior but not as shinny?

Originally finished in semi-gloss black different people use different products to get something in the range of what is expected. Suggest you read some fo the related threads here on the site after doing a search for them. Like all paints what is legal and available in your area will help guide you to an acceptable choice

Sorry there is not an easy or single answer to these challenges
Jeff Speegle

Offline LouisGT350H

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 05:57:09 PM »
Hi
Thanks again for your help.  It looks to me that the interior paint is a semi gloss, but there are some areas where it is a full gloss.

Attached are pictures of my dash, and some parts are semi gloss and some parts are gloss.   I had a look through the threads and could not find any guides or examples of this.  Do you know of any?

Or is it ok I just go semi gloss where it is not seen and full gloss where the paint is seen?

Lou

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 06:38:01 PM »
Hi
Thanks again for your help.  It looks to me that the interior paint is a semi gloss, but there are some areas where it is a full gloss.

Attached are pictures of my dash, and some parts are semi gloss and some parts are gloss.   I had a look through the threads and could not find any guides or examples of this.  Do you know of any?

Or is it ok I just go semi gloss where it is not seen and full gloss where the paint is seen?

Lou

Since the interior color was applied first (example inside of the door, main dash area and A pillars) that area was masked off to protect it from the exterior color was applied. The top of the dash was not typically protected from the exterior paint and that is why your seeing both interior and exterior paint on the top of the dash. Since both interior colors are similar I've posted a picture of a car with contrasting colors/paint to illustrate. Have a fair number of others but this should do it.

Example #1 - Blue interior and white exterior

Example #2 (top) - Black interior and blue exterior
Example #3 (lower) - Parchment interior and dark green exterior

« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 06:40:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline LouisGT350H

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 06:40:11 PM »
Thanks

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 07:03:45 PM »
Hi

Lou
The part that you see in the interior was not full gloss paint  . Typically the interior paint was not much shinier then semigloss. It did vary.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby