Author Topic: Anyone have carb ID pictures  (Read 1776 times)

Offline rustang

Anyone have carb ID pictures
« on: April 03, 2023, 11:36:13 AM »
I've seen a few carbs online/auction for sale and was thinking of getting one as a back-up but don't want to buy an old repro by mistake due to the high prices. Anyone have images of 1966 Shelby carb's (non-hertz) where the ID (model, date codes) stamps are so I can look to compare what's in these auctions.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Drew Pojedinec

Re: Anyone have carb ID pictures
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 12:52:35 PM »
I have thousands in the photo albums on my FB page
AirFuelSpark

You can also send me auction listings and I can critique them.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 08:13:10 PM »
Here is a few pictures of one dated 612 I had a while back. Please ignore the owner added stud on the accelerator arm :)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 05:24:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Drew Pojedinec

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 11:00:05 PM »
Jeff, yours has the wrong accelerator pump lever.
Clip for choke cable is on wrong side too

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 12:15:11 AM »
Jeff, yours has the wrong accelerator pump lever.
Clip for choke cable is on wrong side too

Yes certainly was missing the twist in the pump arm. A few examples of the correct version

Not sure why the guy put it back on the backside but a few pictures to show the correct orientation for the viewers

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 05:25:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Drew Pojedinec

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 09:07:51 AM »
The pump override spring screw is like the later photos of yours. The long screw and nut is a later reproduction.

Not meaning to be picky, be the forum is about concours work

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 09:48:35 AM »
I would not expect a 1963-64 brass spark vacuum plug in that 1966 time period. Plated steel in the same design would be what I expected.
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 02:36:55 PM »
The pump override spring screw is like the later photos of yours. The long screw and nut is a later reproduction.

Not meaning to be picky, be the forum is about concours work

Drew - not a problem at all. The pictures point out how many little things can turn up being replaced and altered over the years as well as open discussions. We can all learn things and discover new ones through the process. In ways it makes it better than showing what is currently believed to be correct and just copying the details.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2023, 05:28:34 PM »
Highlighted details in my earlier pictures to hopefully help.

Dan to tell the finish in may of the pictures I have when it comes to the vacuum plug. No rust on any of them in the 66's I looked at and a few of them might be brass due to the screw driver damage. Will keep an eye open for more examples in better original condition and cleanliness
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 06:32:30 PM »
Highlighted details in my earlier pictures to hopefully help.

Dan to tell the finish in may of the pictures I have when it comes to the vacuum plug. No rust on any of them in the 66's I looked at and a few of them might be brass due to the screw driver damage. Will keep an eye open for more examples in better original condition and cleanliness

Could be rusty steel, I have seen that. The only brass plug I have in my data base for any engineering version of "3259" was the prototypes produced in 1964 in between the time the original plan was to use R-2668A models and when some R-2668As were reworked by Holley into prototype "R-3259" units.  (There appears to be a date stamp on the document calling out "Holley No. 2668" but it is too faint to read. The only known surviving prototype was manufactured as a R-2668A in April 1964. When was it converted is anyone's guess unless somebody has the factory log book still. The release to produce R-3259A versions, only made in December 1964, was date stamped December 2, 1964.)
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.