Author Topic: Radiator to hood seal clips  (Read 502 times)

Offline Wills70

Radiator to hood seal clips
« on: January 20, 2024, 08:36:02 PM »
I purchased these years ago, can someone please help identify these clips ?
I have a Dearborn car with factory AC and see no signs of staples
Thanks Will

Offline jwc66k

Re: Radiator to hood seal clips
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 11:47:40 PM »
Those look like 372046-S100 clips used mostly for electrical wiring retention. No use for a 70 Mustang.
Per the "1970 Mustang Body Assembly Manual", AM0031, pg 17, the seal is installed with staples, 370168-S10.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 12:50:35 AM »
I purchased these years ago, can someone please help identify these clips ?
I have a Dearborn car with factory AC and see no signs of staples
Thanks Will
I have seen those used as alternative to the staples on 69/70 Shelby's which were Dearborn built and my field of interest. Consequently I would not be surprised for their use on 70 Mustang. The most likely explanation for their use is that the staple gun which was typical went off line for some reason. I have seen them all zinc phosphate but mostly seen those clips half dipped in black insulating paint.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Wills70

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 10:00:00 AM »
 Thanks for the replies , I purchased these from Bob Perkins Ebay store years ago , but did not recall the specifics of the application of this clip .
Would you recommend trying to use staples to attach this seal or another clip to be correct ?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 02:00:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies , I purchased these from Bob Perkins Ebay store years ago , but did not recall the specifics of the application of this clip .
Would you recommend trying to use staples to attach this seal or another clip to be correct ?
I would recommend using what the radiator support suggests is original to the car. I would be sure that the radiator support has not been changed first . Check for type of welding around the perimeter. I would document the welding if you decide to use the clips . Staples are typical the clips you show are a alternative sometimes seen. Ultimately it is up to you what you decide to use.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Steve Schenck

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 10:11:26 PM »
Wills, I have a 70 Boss 302 under restoration, that was built at Dearborn, on 4-20-70. It used the same clips to secure the radiator support seal to the hood. Here's a photo of mine.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 01:30:00 PM »
Wills, I have a 70 Boss 302 under restoration, that was built at Dearborn, on 4-20-70. It used the same clips to secure the radiator support seal to the hood. Here's a photo of mine.

Yes those are the same as we've found on hundreds of Dearborn examples when they didn't or could not use the staple machine. Very different shape and finishes than the ones in the OP first post which as discussed were used at San Jose in 69-70

Earlier threads with plenty of pictures  ;)  just used "radiator seal" in search and came up with 6 pages of results but most of the better ones were in the first two pages of results

Viewed over 10,000 times
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4616.0

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11627.msg170861#msg170861

« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 01:36:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)