Author Topic: Decklid Repair  (Read 1267 times)

Offline JeffC

Decklid Repair
« on: August 15, 2023, 12:57:35 AM »
Hey Everyone,

Been on the hunt for a sports roof decklid with correct date code to my car and I think I may have found one. Although it has some damage and wondering how easy/hard are trunk lids in terms of repair or if I should keep looking. Should I keep looking for a better decklid or just try to repair the one I found? Check out the pictures and let me know what you think.

Jeffrey
Jeffrey Cruz
69' R-Code Mach 1
San Jose
May 6, 1969

Online 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: Decklid Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 01:14:37 AM »
Not seeing it in person makes it hard to tell. Is it straight under the match 1 lettering? I see marks but cant tell if that's bent or not? I'd also have to inspect what's under that bondo. A dent, a hole? If its a minor dent, a little all metal filler will do wonders. If its a hole, maybe a little welding and then some all metal? How easy is it to find another with the date code you are looking for vs doing a little repair on what you have? Me, and I'm frugal, I'd fix it or see if a dent wizard can get to it and fix it if that is all it is.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 12:20:00 PM »
Obviously price of decklid should be a concern considering cost of repairs . If it falls within your date code requirements that may tip the scales . The decklids are not that hard to find. Finding a date appropriate one can be. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 05:28:35 PM »
Also look for other damage or signs of rusting between the inner and outer layers especially at the lower rear edge where they can rust in some areas because of local conditions. It's very unlikley your going to find another with the same date. Some will swap out the small area where the date code is to the better trunk lid/replacement but then that is more work and or cost to add into the choice being made
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 07:58:52 PM »
Decklid is now on Craigslist for sale, west coast I believe.

Dan in Kansas

Offline JeffC

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 11:59:53 PM »
Thanks for the replys everyone. I'm probably just going to hold off for now and hope a better one comes along. I'm not in a rush to finish the restoration so why settle.
Jeffrey Cruz
69' R-Code Mach 1
San Jose
May 6, 1969