Author Topic: 67 390 Ignition Coil A/C - No Smog  (Read 3099 times)

Offline BKnapp

67 390 Ignition Coil A/C - No Smog
« on: March 19, 2016, 10:29:12 PM »
Ok...I finally started my Mustang for the first time. Ran really rough, so I got to do my first project...3 hours of changing spark plugs and correcting plug wire order...PO didn't even finger tightened number 5 plug.

Anyway, I want to address a few items and would like to do so in as correct manner as reasonably possible. I think the first thing will be the ignition coil. I am wondering where I might locate a correct ignition coil and it's proper mounting location. I have looked through the MPC until my eyes blurred...I certainly hope I become more proficient at using that thing. In addition to my signature, car does not have smog (PO removed), but does have A/C and P/S. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 390 Ignition Coil A/C - No Smog
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 11:59:46 PM »
Ok...I finally started my Mustang for the first time. Ran really rough, so I got to do my first project...3 hours of changing spark plugs and correcting plug wire order...PO didn't even finger tightened number 5 plug.

Anyway, I want to address a few items and would like to do so in as correct manner as reasonably possible. I think the first thing will be the ignition coil. I am wondering where I might locate a correct ignition coil and it's proper mounting location. I have looked through the MPC until my eyes blurred...I certainly hope I become more proficient at using that thing. In addition to my signature, car does not have smog (PO removed), but does have A/C and P/S. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
The regular production Mustang coils are all the same. Millions were used . Stiil plenty around. Coils don't go bad often but could cause poor power symptoms if it is. Switch it out to test the theory.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:02:40 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 12:10:29 AM »
Thanks, Bob...Will an original have the yellow top? P/N stamping?

More importantly, it's currently on the intake? Is that the correct mounting position or should it be front passenger side of block?

Thanks,
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 12:13:38 AM »
.............Will an original have the yellow top? P/N stamping?

Yes all yellow tops

Paint number is ink stamped on the coil base  - stamp includes AUTOLITE and a date when the coil was built

In this example FAC-12029-A 9EDB

More importantly, it's currently on the intake? Is that the correct mounting position or should it be front passenger side of block?

Drivers side fron of the intake pretty much like where 68-69 390 and CJ's were Guess that way the wokers only had to learn and remember on location  ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:16:18 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 12:54:51 AM »
Thanks, Jeff. For my build date would I be looking for a date code of 6M**?

Thanks,
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 01:03:54 AM »
Thanks, Jeff. For my build date would I be looking for a date code of 6M**?

Thanks,
Typically the way the coil is indexed in the bracket you can hardly see the outline of the stamp let alone the date code.Many times it is smeary which adds to the difficulty to read even if it was visible.  It is kind of a waste of time IMO trying to search for a date coded coil unless this is a untouched survivor car that needs a part with matching patina. Most clean and repaint the coil before sending out to someone to have a appropriate date coded stamp put on . I get 35.00 others less some more. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 06:05:50 PM »
Since Bill asked about coil position, I thought this might be an appropriate time to follow up on an aspect that I recall being mentioned in a previous post. In this post [http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3255.msg17460#msg17460] Bob mentioned the rotation of the coil in the bracket, with the terminals arranged approximately vertically.

Last fall I pulled coils off of two 390s, one a '67 and one a '69. Not Mustangs, but to my knowledge the coils and bracket were installed at the engine plant so it shouldn't be a factor. The coils and the engines in general did not appear to have been messed with too much, as far as one can tell with cars that have been sitting in the woods for 30 years or so. The terminals are both aligned vertically, but not the same way Bob described - on these the terminals were towards the valve cover side, with the bottom of the coil facing the front of the car of course.

Also notice the difference in the two brackets - the '67 is reinforced with a formed center piece welded to the strap. The '69 does not have the reinforcing piece. I mention this because Jeff's photo with the stamping example shows a '69 dated coil. I don't know when the transition occurred from the reinforced type to the simpler type, but I believe you should have the reinforced style for '67. As a side discussion, I would be grateful if someone can confirm which style was used in '68.
The article mentioned is taken out of context. That was for a 68 with smog and is the way it is typically found in that application. It is not for every application.  The comments you made on the strap is missing information that is relevant in this case for others who may be reading. In this case the reinforcement on the bracket or not has to do with a thermactor application . It is more about application then it is year in this case. If it has thermactor the coil bracket is bolted down on top of the thermactor bracket strap . The strap gives the extra support so in this case the coil bracket doesn't need the extra reinforcement. That is the way ideally it was engineered to be in the case of BB thermactor . Anomalies happen so it is not absolute . No thermactor on the BB typically called for a reinforced coil bracket.  FYI the BB coil has the notch to index the coil to the notch in the BB manifold casting when bolted down. SB is the opposite.  Jeff's picture is of a typical BB coil bracket notch.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:21:57 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 06:18:23 PM »
Yes all yellow tops

Paint number is ink stamped on the coil base  - stamp includes AUTOLITE and a date when the coil was built

In this example FAC-12029-A 9EDB

Drivers side fron of the intake pretty much like where 68-69 390 and CJ's were Guess that way the wokers only had to learn and remember on location  ;)
While we are on the subject of indexing I thought I would mention that the BB coil in Jeff's picture is a little too far forward form what is typical on a thermactor engine installation. The way the coil is positioned on the intake makes indexing the coil body in the bracket typically farther back. The strap to the thermactor tube is indexed in such a way as to only allow the coil to sit so far back in the bracket without bottoming out against the thermactor strap. 

Offline preaction

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 06:25:24 PM »
The corner missing in this pic and Jeff's is the notch you mention ? Is the reinforcement a 67 thing too as my 67 390 with thermactor has a reinforced coil bracket.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 06:50:22 PM »
The corner missing in this pic and Jeff's is the notch you mention ? Is the reinforcement a 67 thing too as my 67 390 with thermactor has a reinforced coil bracket.
Yes it is a 67 thing also. It is up to you to decide the way you want it on your car. The way it was engineered vs. another way. Like I said previously anomalies happen but explaining them can be difficult and frustrating sometimes. This is a nuance detail and once mounted not something many think to look at or even know about. It is especially hard to see on a thermactor car with tubes in place.