Author Topic: Need a fuel pump for my 67 390 4v  (Read 406 times)

Offline 67BB390

Need a fuel pump for my 67 390 4v
« on: February 11, 2024, 08:37:48 PM »
Good place to get one, Appreciate any help.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:41:41 AM by 67BB390 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Need a fuel pump for my 67 390 4v
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 02:12:15 PM »
No one makes one that is like an original. So you are left with rebuilding an original or a NOS and having it rebuilt since the original rubber parts will not hold up against the new gases with grain alcohol in them.

Remember if your going all the way make sure the numbers are correct and acceptable date is on the base

Will send a PM
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 04:17:56 PM »
No one makes one that is like an original. So you are left with rebuilding an original or a NOS and having it rebuilt since the original rubber parts will not hold up against the new gases with grain alcohol in them.

Remember if your going all the way make sure the numbers are correct and acceptable date is on the base

Will send a PM
+1 with Jeff's comments . I would like to add a few things. My comments are meant to be helpful not only for the original poster but for others that may be reading.  First off it is always best to go for as good as you can get. Depending on your expectations not all of the details for a given part may not be necessary. For example if you were trying to build your car to concours show quality yardstick regardless of if you were going to show it or not then it is important to understand what is expected of your cars condition for a given concours class.  In the case of the fuel pump the button top style fuel pump is the number one priority because it is the most visible and notable detail and is what is expected. A few other details that are great to have but not necessarily relevant are the CARbureTER trademark which was on early 67 production and the CARTER trade mark which was on later 67 production. In MCA  trailered concours for example which has a high bar for originality and is a judged class the trademarks are not looked at. The right trademark is nice to have but not necessary. The flange number and date code are secondary also and again nice to have and strive for but not only hard to find whats needed for a given car but not required as they those things are not looked at in trailered concours class. Throughbred class is the only class that those details are expected to be exact and original  In that class every single part has to have proper date codes and numbers on all original tires,belts,batteries etc. with absolutely no reproduction parts .  I thought it best to comment because it is our goal to help and not discourage . The original details are important to share but can seem like a unsurmountable mountain to climb when added to a list of others. Hopefully by putting some of these things in perspective along with information and advice given will help one decide what is best for each individuals situation. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 08:52:56 PM »
Does this look like an original pump? This is on my signature car.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 08:59:56 PM »

Looks like its a Carter possibly from the period. Can't be any more certain without a cleaning and look at the casting and stamped details
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 09:13:03 PM »
Thank you Jeff. Added to the list!
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 09:22:51 PM »
Given it has what looks like a 5/16 inlet to me and the button top at the very least makes it a vintage 1967 variety. Consequently it will no doubt have ether Carter or CAR bure TER trademark.There is a good chance therefore it is original to the car unless known as a replacement otherwise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 01:04:30 PM »
Thank you Bob. I will clean up the side to verify trade mark. The pump does not work, so I will be pursuing a rebuild service through Fred.