Author Topic: Front Shocks Tilt Inward  (Read 228 times)

Offline 67350#1242

Front Shocks Tilt Inward
« on: March 06, 2024, 08:54:14 PM »
I'm perplexed by a problem:  The front shocks want to tilt inward toward engine bay. I really have to pull outward on the tops to bolt up to the bracket, this with car sitting on ground at normal ride height.    Passenger side worse than drivers, and the shock shaft actually contacts the inward side of the hole in shock tower.

The shocks seem to be binding, I can tell by jouncing the front end - Pass side much harder to jounce down than drivers.
If I unbolt the tops the car bounces very easily and freely without noise or binding, but as it goes downward there is progressively even more inward tilting.   The shocks move in and out normally when tops unbolted.

The spring seats were replaced with NOS Ford a few years ago and appear fine.  The car has never been in a wreck or damaged and shock towers, etc are in great shape.

Has anyone run into a problem like this, or have ideas as to how to correct?   Is it common to have some inward tilt to the shocks as I have described?  Any help appreciated.
Kurt
67 SJ Coupe
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Front Shocks Tilt Inward
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 09:59:14 PM »
I'm perplexed by a problem:  The front shocks want to tilt inward toward engine bay. I really have to pull outward on the tops to bolt up to the bracket, this with car sitting on ground at normal ride height.    Passenger side worse than drivers, and the shock shaft actually contacts the inward side of the hole in shock tower.

The shocks seem to be binding, I can tell by jouncing the front end - Pass side much harder to jounce down than drivers.
If I unbolt the tops the car bounces very easily and freely without noise or binding, but as it goes downward there is progressively even more inward tilting.   The shocks move in and out normally when tops unbolted.

The spring seats were replaced with NOS Ford a few years ago and appear fine.  The car has never been in a wreck or damaged and shock towers, etc are in great shape.

Has anyone run into a problem like this, or have ideas as to how to correct?   Is it common to have some inward tilt to the shocks as I have described?  Any help appreciated.
Kurt
67 SJ Coupe
I suspect it has to do with the spring perch and how the cross bar and bushing were pressed in to position into the perch body.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby