Author Topic: 1971 Mach 1 argent hood paint  (Read 2872 times)

Offline bdietz

• 1971 429 SCJ
1971 Mach 1 argent hood paint
« on: March 17, 2019, 11:14:48 AM »
I'm getting ready to paint the Mach 1 hood, I have a few questions:

What is the correct argent paint?  Is it gloss or semi gloss?

Was the Argent paint applied after body color ?

From the factory, was there a lip on the argent paint where it meets the body color from where the tape would have been?

There is a small pin strip that outlines the hood graphics, how thick is it and how far from the hood graphic is it?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 1971 Mach 1 argent hood paint
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:15:25 PM »
Reading the 71-73 forum, there's quite a controversy about the exact dimensions of the hood black-out.  Measurements from original unmolested cars have some variations from the factory, which makes matters worse.  What everyone agrees to, though, is that whatever was posted in Mustang Monthly is wrong!
Why is that not surprising?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:53:44 AM »
Reading the 71-73 forum, there's quite a controversy about the exact dimensions of the hood black-out.  Measurements from original unmolested cars have some variations from the factory, which makes matters worse.  What everyone agrees to, though, is that whatever was posted in Mustang Monthly is wrong!
Why is that not surprising?

I think your information is a bit short circuited  ;) The template for the Mustang NASA hood Tu-Tone is the same 1971-73. I'm not sure everyone agrees on anything in the Mustang hobby. I do know several 71-73 cars featured in MM over the years were spot on as they were original paint cars with original Tu-Tone paint. The NASA hood Tu-Tone layout was discussed in Resto Roundup as well as correct paint formulas. I cannot vouch for everything printed in MM for last 40 years but MM has offered accurate information on 71-73 hood To-Tone to readers. I'm a bit surprised by the attitude? 

Offline bdietz

• 1971 429 SCJ
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 08:48:28 AM »
Does anyone know if the silver hood paint was gloss or flat or semi-gloss?

Offline 7173Q4spd

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 06:06:15 AM »
I think your information is a bit short circuited  ;) The template for the Mustang NASA hood Tu-Tone is the same 1971-73. I'm not sure everyone agrees on anything in the Mustang hobby. I do know several 71-73 cars featured in MM over the years were spot on as they were original paint cars with original Tu-Tone paint. The NASA hood Tu-Tone layout was discussed in Resto Roundup as well as correct paint formulas. I cannot vouch for everything printed in MM for last 40 years but MM has offered accurate information on 71-73 hood To-Tone to readers. I'm a bit surprised by the attitude?

I haven't posted much as there is not much discussion here on the 713 model's... I just saw this thread. As someone who went through this paint process four times on the same hood by the same painter and today it is still not quite perfect... The issue at hand relates to the use of the template that is widely available from part's supplier's. I believe the reference to MM has to do with one article where the placement of the stencil on the hood caused the final paint  application to be considered wrong by many. I had my painter use the stencil and we found that it was a little wide when laid out on the hood. We cut it to fit what we believed to be the factory dimension, side to side. The more concerning issue is the placement of the stencil at the front of the hood.They give a dimension, off the top my head something like 1 7/8". How you interpret where to start this measurement from the front of the hood will have a major impact on where the blackout (or argent) paint looks in relation to how it came from the factory. I believe there was one major article by MM that had the stencil applied incorrectly and the end product did not look correct. This is what most people talk about when referring to MM...
Just do it...