Author Topic: 73 Cobra Jet Convertible AC questions  (Read 2113 times)

Offline 67foxgt390

• Long time Mustanger
73 Cobra Jet Convertible AC questions
« on: May 22, 2020, 07:44:36 PM »
 Hello Every one. Happy to be talking with such a great group. I'm working on my recently acquired 73 CJ conv. While testing some things I noticed that my AC does not blow cold but does seem to "work" I noticed that the heater hoses are not on the car " bypassed I guess" My question is will this prevent my AC from functioning properly? Looks like it might be a pain to replace! Any opinions on this would be appreciated. One more thing, Where are the oil pressure sending unit and the temp sending unit located? I never owned a 351 car! Of course i could find them on my old 390!! Thanks in advance!!  Chuck

Online 67gta289

Re: 73 Cobra Jet Convertible AC questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:45:42 PM »
The only ways for the heater to affect vent discharge temp when AC is operating that I can think of are:
(1) AC not set to max cool, and some of the heat from the heater coil is blended in, which would be normal
(2) AC set to max cool, but something with the heater shut off valve or valve control circuit has malfunctioned

But since it sounds like the heater core is bypassed, none of that would be relevant.  An A/C system is fairly complicated and much of it requires special tools and training.  If it gets cold, but not cold enough, you might get lucky and are just low on refrigerant. 

Regarding the sending units, I had to look this up, so no guarantees.

Temp - located below the thermostat. See pic.
Oil Press - located behind the intake manifold.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:50:09 PM »
Temp - located below the thermostat. See pic.

Think you will find that the water temp is (in the picture) above and to the left attached to the front of the block. What you have circled is what is left of the PVS / Ported Vacuum Switch if I recall correctly. Too much stuff in the way on a fully assembled and installed engine
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rickmustang

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 12:10:02 PM »
Check if you have Freon pressure in the AC system first. If not, you have a decision to make about R134 as the original was R12 stuff but is hard to find and probably illegal. Compressor, clutch and expansion valve could all be issues.
1970 black R-code 428 4-speed Mach 1
Built in San Jose mid-October 1969

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 04:10:34 PM »
Hello Every one. Happy to be talking with such a great group. I'm working on my recently acquired 73 CJ conv. While testing some things I noticed that my AC does not blow cold but does seem to "work" I noticed that the heater hoses are not on the car " bypassed I guess" My question is will this prevent my AC from functioning properly? Looks like it might be a pain to replace! Any opinions on this would be appreciated. One more thing, Where are the oil pressure sending unit and the temp sending unit located? I never owned a 351 car! Of course i could find them on my old 390!! Thanks in advance!!  Chuck
I had a 73 convertible that blew cool but not cold. Gauge readings were OK but compressor cycled on and off a lot. Turns out the de-icing sensor in the evaporator was turning the compressor off at about 50 degrees instead of the 35 or so that it should have been.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 01:42:59 PM »
I meant to add that if you pull the glove box down the connector to the de-icing sensor is right there. You can jumper it pretty easily.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is