Author Topic: 67 shifter and top plate center console removal  (Read 1053 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 shifter and top plate center console removal
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2023, 06:04:34 AM »
Made a deeper search and found this posted by Richard.

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11705.msg73081;topicseen#msg73081

May be and due to the fact that the new repro overlays are much thicker now, this could be a possibilty using a sanding disc to strip off to bare pot metal, provide a smoth surface and than to glue on the overlays and finally to polish them to have a closer approach to the more shiny orginal.

Sounds like a hell of work with a questionable result...

I asked within that thread about the reproduction consoles and since, have seen one at the counter of NPD in Michigan. They look pretty good, fitment still unknown but if I remember correctly, you have a convertible. The reproduction console is made to fit non A/C  coupes & fastback and require trimming for A/C cars and convertibles.

Otherwise, yes, if you grind or machine down the faux brushed aluminum surfaces of the console and make the surface uniformly smooth, the overlay kits will look better than the pitting but it will never have the sheen of the original ones.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 06:13:24 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 shifter and top plate center console removal
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 11:12:15 AM »
Made a deeper search and found this posted by Richard.

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11705.msg73081;topicseen#msg73081

May be and due to the fact that the new repro overlays are much thicker now, this could be a possibilty using a sanding disc to strip off to bare pot metal, provide a smoth surface and than to glue on the overlays and finally to polish them to have a closer approach to the more shiny orginal.

Sounds like a hell of work with a questionable result...
I would forget thinking that you can polish the overly successfully to make it more shinier. I do not think the material and the clearcoat will withstand the process.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby