Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Suspension

Spring Perch Insulating Material

(1/2) > >>

must69:
I have two questions in relation to refurbished spring perches for my 64.5.

1) What is the material that is glued to the perch that the coil spring sits on and what type of adhesive is used?  It acts as the insulator between the coil and the perch.

2) What type of finish would be best to apply to the bare metal areas such as the perches and the areas of the upper and lower control arms that are not painted black so they do not rust?

Thanks. Phil

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: must69 on February 01, 2024, 03:53:11 PM ---I have two questions in relation to refurbished spring perches for my 64.5.

1) What is the material that is glued to the perch that the coil spring sits on and what type of adhesive is used?  It acts as the insulator between the coil and the perch.

2) What type of finish would be best to apply to the bare metal areas such as the perches and the areas of the upper and lower control arms that are not painted black so they do not rust?

Thanks. Phil

--- End quote ---
The rubber material you speak of was not used on assemblyline parts in the 60's . It was something that was added to service parts in the 70's . There are various rust "inhibitors". Boe Shield T9 is one such inhibitor. There are many on the market. No rust inhibitor will keep rust from forming long term (weeks, months ,years) if exposed to moisture   

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: must69 on February 01, 2024, 03:53:11 PM ---2) What type of finish would be best to apply to the bare metal areas such as the perches and the areas of the upper and lower control arms that are not painted black so they do not rust?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 01, 2024, 04:36:32 PM ---There are various rust "inhibitors". Boe Shield T9 is one such inhibitor. There are many on the market. No rust inhibitor will keep rust from forming long term (weeks, months ,years) if exposed to moisture   

--- End quote ---
Do not apply any paint or preservative over rust. Get rid of the rust first. I'll let others tell you what they would do.
Jim

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on February 01, 2024, 06:56:45 PM ---Do not apply any paint or preservative over rust. Get rid of the rust first. I'll let others tell you what they would do.
Jim

--- End quote ---
I agree you don't put paint or preservative (inhibitor)over rust. Bare metal and rust are two different things.  A rust inhibitor is what is used over the bare metal that the OP wrote about to help keep rust from forming .

must69:
Bob Gaines, Thanks for your reply.  I have not used the Boe Shield T9 product before and I understand what you say about it not being a permanent solution.  What would be your opinion of using a product like VHT clear over the bare metal to prevent rust over the bare metal? 
Thanks.
Phil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version