Author Topic: Hello & opinions sought.  (Read 8244 times)

Offline cobraboy

Re: Hello & opinions sought.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 03:13:50 AM »
I remember a post on the old hpmx detailing a HiPo car with two bumpers, one on the floor and one on the 3rd member. And I dont think this was a unique occurance.
Do people not think that the presence of the correct square corner snubber plate on the floor adds some credibility to this being a dual exhaust car ?
It looks to have been there a long time and not grafted on.
Of course it could be an A code GT.
I do agree the exhaust is wrong, but how many cars are perfect ?
Hopefuly the vendor will suuply extra pics which canbe posted here.
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »
This really is not that complicated. Given the asking price of the car it is a small investment to hire someone knowledable to inspect the car. Most qualified people could give you a pass/fail just with a discussion over the phone and if it makes the visual pass then make a physical inspection
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 11:37:16 AM »
I remember a post on the old hpmx detailing a HiPo car with two bumpers, one on the floor and one on the 3rd member. And I dont think this was a unique occurance.
Do people not think that the presence of the correct square corner snubber plate on the floor adds some credibility to this being a dual exhaust car ?
I do agree the exhaust is wrong, but how many cars are perfect ?
Hopefuly the vendor will suuply extra pics which canbe posted here.
The exhaust is the least of this cars worries  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »

I remember those discussions and I thought it was established that there were some K codes that came with the rebound bumper attached to the snubber plate and also had the rubber bumper on the rear axle housing plate.  Doesn't Fred Ballard own a car with this configuration?

I've pored over the pics and other than the brake hose being wrapped under the axle, I am not seeing any areas of concern with the car being a K code.  The square corner snubber plate is there, which assuming it is original, is one of the biggest items to legitimize a factory dual exhaust car.

Of course, there are very few pictures, so obviously there would need to be a close inspection.  I don't think the price is that high for a K fastback if the GT and pony interior are original.  The automatic might be a bit of a detriment to the value compared to a 4sp.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 04:17:22 PM »
I remember those discussions and I thought it was established that there were some K codes that came with the rebound bumper attached to the snubber plate and also had the rubber bumper on the rear axle housing plate.  Doesn't Fred Ballard own a car with this configuration?

I've pored over the pics and other than the brake hose being wrapped under the axle, I am not seeing any areas of concern with the car being a K code.  The square corner snubber plate is there, which assuming it is original, is one of the biggest items to legitimize a factory dual exhaust car.

Of course, there are very few pictures, so obviously there would need to be a close inspection.  I don't think the price is that high for a K fastback if the GT and pony interior are original.  The automatic might be a bit of a detriment to the value compared to a 4sp.
Charles PM sent ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »
I thought the hose under the axle was the breather hanging down.
Any how,  Bob you may as well post what you see, it will be for the benefit of all.
Mark
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
I thought the hose under the axle was the breather hanging down.

Yes, I think you're right on that.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »
Pictures of the three VIN fender stamped locations plus the door data plate would give an indication of the level of detail that any previous owner might have gone to, that's all.
I looked at the body pictures for ripples or an obvious alignment problem and noticed this, no front bumper guards (minor) and the narative states "West Virginia" then "California" but the plates in the pictures are "Virginia". Another stop on the road to - where?
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.