Author Topic: MCA Judge's Meeting - October 11, 2013 Dallas, TX  (Read 21988 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
MCA Judge's Meeting - October 11, 2013 Dallas, TX
« on: September 10, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »
MCA Judge's Meeting - October 11, 2013
Courtyard by Marriott DFW Airport South
2880 Valley View Lane
Irving, Texas 75062

Have heard there are some pretty drastic recommendations going to be put forth at this meeting such as suspending or eliminating the MCA Thoroughbred class.  Anyone with a vested interest in the MCA Judging Program should attend this event. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:35:13 PM by caspian65 »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: MCA Judge's Meeting - October 10, 2013 Dallas, TX
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:59:27 PM »
I decline to comment on the grounds that it may incriminate me  ;)
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »
MCA Judge's Meeting - October 10, 2013
Courtyard by Marriott DFW Airport South
2880 Valley View Lane
Irving, Texas 75062

Have heard there are some pretty drastic recommendations going to be put forth at this meeting such as suspending or eliminating the MCA Thoroughbred class.  Anyone with a vested interest in the MCA Judging Program should attend this event.

Charles I could not agree with you more. There was a thread here a few month back speaking to some problems in this class and now with the possibility of latter generations showing in the Tbred class it is time it is reviewed and up dated. I hope many who's opinions I deeply respect on this forum will be in attendance. The ones that complain but never offer any help I really have no time for.
Marty

Offline Mike Bauman

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
Hi! 
Why would MCA / or anyone want to suspend or eliminate the Thoroughbred Class?  I was not aware of problems.  Please inform me as I am "not in the know"!  As for me......when I attend a National show I spend a considerable amount of my time viewing the Thoroughbred restorations as I feel they demonstrate the ultimate in restoration craftsmanship as well as allowing me to view super rare cars and NOS parts that I would other wise never get to see! 
Looking forward to responses!  Mike Bauman

PS   I cannot attend the Judging meeting as my budget will not allow......buying too many NOS parts!

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 12:10:41 AM »
Charles I did not notice it till just now the MCA judges meeting is on Friday October 11th
Marty

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:16:45 AM by caspian65 »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:16:55 AM »
Charles I did not notice it till just now the MCA judges meeting is on Friday October 11th
Marty

Fixed that, thanks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »
Marty

Yep - even the locals will have problems getting off a work day to attend/participate :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

Re: MCA Judge's Meeting - October 11, 2013 Dallas, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »
 Remote location, Judges meeting on a Friday? Not much of a draw to encourage attendence, but then maybe a low turn out is the goal for a few to promote their agenda?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »
I've been involved with MCA since the mid 90's and I don't recall there ever being a Judge's Meeting on a Friday.  By all appearances, it seems like a formality required to submit recommendations immediately to the MCA BOD the next day.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:36:07 PM »
Very sad indeed.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »
Really Bob Dallas TX. a remote location? Like Juneau WI. is on the way to where? I did enjoy the meeting there except judging in the snow!
I know Friday is a work day but aren't most national shows on Friday, Saturday and Sunday? I guess it boils down to what is important to you. I am taking off Thursday and driving 10 hours to be there. That is not what I like but it is better than the cost of a second trip latter. I hope many regional and national directors will attend the judges meeting. It will give them a greater understanding of the judging program and the things that are being asked for.
It is important to have the judges meeting before the fall board of directors meeting so there is time to make necessary adjustments. Particularly like those with the Motosho program that will require changing the national show guide lines. So no planed conspiracy to push things through.

I really do not believe that the Tbred class will be suspended, all though it does need some up dating. That is where it is very important to have people like those on this forum in attendance so the best solutions are found!

I hesitated on making this post but thought it might stop the rumor mill.
Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »
................ Particularly like those with the Motosho program that will require changing the national show guide lines. ...............

We're thinking about changing the national guidelines for what program???  Think that's a first

Will wait to hear the details ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:38:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 10:43:54 PM »
There was a thread here a few month back speaking to some problems in this class and now with the possibility of latter generations showing in the Tbred class it is time it is reviewed and up dated. I hope many who's opinions I deeply respect on this forum will be in attendance. The ones that complain but never offer any help I really have no time for.
Marty

Marty,
I have re-read the posts you referred too. The suggestions to improve the Thoroughbred Class seem to all have come from you? I’ve copied your ideas below.  I’ve also responded to your suggestions.

I have been part of the MCA for almost 20 years and will have to admit that I did not know too much about the Tbred class and the Authenticity award until Tari and I took over the tally room in 2011. The most important is participation in the class.
Tari and I are committed to improving the judging process in all MCA classes.
Thanks
Marty Rupp

I don’t believe it’s in the job description of the MCA judging Secretaries (Tally Room) to suggest MCA Class requirements. Participation numbers in THB & Unrestored classes’ 65-73 have never been huge due to the limited number of Unrestored and Thoroughbred cars. The Unrestored class is MCA’s most important and prestigious class. Participation numbers are low for obvious reasons. THB numbers are also low for similar reasons. The turnout at Indy was very good. Maybe turnout is related to Show location?

I would like to know how to become a Thoroughbred judge? I asked to be part of the team at the Mustang OK. grand national that judged the 68 Tbred. I was not included. With only 6 Tbred cars in all of last year the opportunity to judge one does not come around very often. I know that I am no way qualified to judge Tbreds but how are you to learn. If the MCA is to continue to offer this class we must have judges in training.

You asked how to become a THB Judge?  Unfortunately, it’s not possible to get the information to become a THB judge off the “Tire Rack Website”. It took most of the current Thoroughbred judge’s decades to gain their knowledge to be qualified THB and Unrestored judges. Most have been MCA National Head Judges, assistant National Head Judges, owners or restorers of Unrestored or THB cars. Most are well educated in original parts identification, proper assembly line finishes and assembly line production procedures. Most if not all THB judges have a special interest in Unrestored cars. Unrestored cars are the best text book for the THB class.  

At most grand nationals the Tberd class is no more than 1% of the cars in attendance and yet a extraordinary amount of time and effort is given to them. At national shows the class is nonexistent. If this very special class and if it is to continue some things need  to change.

Why do you think you have the knowledge to suggest changes to a Class you admit you know little about and are not qualified to Judge?

Here are a few thoughts. As discussed expanded judges training. Better attendance through the year even when there is no authenticity award at stake. To that end change the authenticity award to be given to those that have collected required points over a season. That would promote better attendance and guard against a onetime poor judging.

The suggestion that mandatory show attendance should be tied to the Authenticity award is ridiculous. Authenticity and show attendance are not relative. It is not the responsibility of Thoroughbred or Unrestored car owners to educate MCA judges. Apparently since OKC you have learned how to get on a Thoroughbred judging team as you helped judge my 69 Mustang in Indy. Must not be too hard to tag along as you are not even listed as a 69 -70 judge according to MCA judges list? I’m sure it was a learning experience as you now know 69’s did not use starter delays.

It has also been suggested that the concourse judge sheets be no longer used and new more comprehensive Thoroughbred sheets be developed by some of you best of the best judges. That way better consistency will be had when a less experienced judge is left to the task.   

Suggested by Who? Marty Rupp? Better detailed judging sheets in all concours classes continue to evolve. I don’t think anyone will argue this is a good thing to continue. I don’t believe however, a judging sheet will make a judge qualified if not qualified beforehand. The Bonus point sheets could use a few additions such as build sheets etc. and eliminate bonus points for generic items such as showroom brochure. I think it would be a good idea to add to the Thoroughbred Judging Sheets and MCA website a more detailed explanation of judging standards at MCA National VS Grand National show due to Authenticity award. Apparently some people don’t understand the definition for “No Reproductions allowed”. 

Also the thought of adding the old technical inspection to process to insure that these best of best cars operate as they were delivered from the assembly plant.
OK you can start yellling at me now! Marty

The Tech inspection was dropped for all MCA classes because MCA decided it was a waste of time. Please inform us how a Tech inspection would increase participation in Thoroughbred  class? 

The MCA judging committee has suggested on more than one occasion  to the MCA BOD that the Grand National should be required to have a 4 post lift on site to judge Thoroughbred Gold and Unrestored Gold cars for the Authenticity and Platinum awards.  This will help insure the cars are judged accurately on undercarriage and would also serve as a training tool by displaying various cars throughout the event. This request needs to be implemented. The 4 post lift would be the best judging tool MCA could implement to improve the THB and Unrestored class.

See you in Dallas Martin!  :D

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 10:52:03 PM »
We're thinking about changing the national guidelines for what program???  Think that's a first

Will wait to hear the details ;)

Motosho is the new show registration and recording system.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »
Motosho is the new show registration and recording system.

OK thanks - didn't know what they were calling that.   See what happens when your not an assistant head judge any longer .... oh...... sorry didn't know it when I was  :(  Communication isn't what it was.
Jeff Speegle