Author Topic: Large Vibration Tumblers and Media  (Read 16460 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Large Vibration Tumblers and Media
« on: June 28, 2014, 01:51:02 AM »
I broke down and bought a 2.5 cubic foot vibratory tumbler for larger metal items and need some advice on what media to use. I have used steel shot in a smaller unit with good success and the green parimids in the smaller bowl type . I have never used the ceramic however. What are people using for a finished metal look like on control arms etc.  ? Charles ? Anyone?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 01:59:32 AM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Large Vibration Tumblers and Media
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 01:53:14 AM »
Angle cut ceramic is what you want.  The one for steel.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 02:13:51 AM »
Angle cut ceramic is what you want.  The one for steel.
This stuff?  http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lbs-medium-ceramic-abrasive-polishing-tumbler-media-60547.html   . They seem to be the cheapest . Where do you suggest buying it?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 12:06:35 AM »
3/16" angle cut cylinders, here:

http://www.candmtopline.com/media_compounds.html

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
3/16" angle cut cylinders, here:

http://www.candmtopline.com/media_compounds.html
Just  got a call from C+M a week after the initial order that they are out of stock ( thank you very much >:( ) of the cylinders until the end of july first of august . Anyone have a alternative. I got the machine and hate to have it set idle for a month. Charles?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 02:15:04 PM »
I've only used media from C&M.  I actually have the bigger cylinders in my tumbler now, but Perkins said the smaller work better.

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 10:33:50 PM »
Im still trying to get over the Harbor Freight comment.... :-[  I will not even drive past the one here in town and go out of my way to drive around it so I dont have to see it.   

I bought my media and tumbler from C&M Topline a few years ago and been using this ceramic here.  Works outstanding and never had any issues with it.  I prefer not to use anything to small because of issues of it getting caught in your parts.  I would look at the triangle type like I have here....but I think there is several different ones that would work just as well. 
http://www.candmtopline.com/special_order_media.html#ceramic

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 02:19:10 AM »
Just  got a call from C+M a week after the initial order that they are out of stock ( thank you very much >:( ) of the cylinders until the end of july first of august . Anyone have a alternative. I got the machine and hate to have it set idle for a month. Charles?
After calling back to ask about the triangles I got another salesman who after checking miraculously came up with the 3/16 cylinder media after all  :o . After all the drama my media is being shipped, supposedly  ::) .

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 02:31:22 AM »
Well...sounds like you got it figured out.  This is one of the best tools I have in my shop, you will wonder why you waited so long. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »
I'm still trying to get over the Harbor Freight comment.... :-[  I will not even drive past the one here in town and go out of my way to drive around it so I dont have to see it.   

I bought my media and tumbler from C&M Topline a few years ago and been using this ceramic here.  Works outstanding and never had any issues with it.  I prefer not to use anything to small because of issues of it getting caught in your parts.  I would look at the triangle type like I have here....but I think there is several different ones that would work just as well. 
http://www.candmtopline.com/special_order_media.html#ceramic

I see in the photo a gas cap. I assume it has been run in this tumbler to polish it.

I was unaware you could do this to chromed items.

I continue to be amazed with the methods (available) used to "keep it simple"

I really need one of these systems too, but maybe it is more cost effective to find somebody local (or send enough things out) to somebody who does this for hire. I don't know which is wiser, but obviously costs play the larger role here. Most of you guys are doing these jobs as a profession, and do not necessarily do the tasks involved individually for hire.

Since I am at the "cleaning" process of undercarriage, I see a great potential in the tumbler process, yet a large tumbler and the different types of media & the related costs would prevent a do-it-yourselfer of doing it themselves.

Any ideas or suggestions guys?

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »
I use "The Deburring Company" in Livonia with great success.  They bring truck loads in and have a location in Toledo, OH also.   Will send you a PM.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
I see in the photo a gas cap. I assume it has been run in this tumbler to polish it.

I was unaware you could do this to chromed items.

I continue to be amazed with the methods (available) used to "keep it simple"

I really need one of these systems too, but maybe it is more cost effective to find somebody local (or send enough things out) to somebody who does this for hire. I don't know which is wiser, but obviously costs play the larger role here. Most of you guys are doing these jobs as a profession, and do not necessarily do the tasks involved individually for hire.

Since I am at the "cleaning" process of undercarriage, I see a great potential in the tumbler process, yet a large tumbler and the different types of media & the related costs would prevent a do-it-yourselfer of doing it themselves.

Any ideas or suggestions guys?

Richard

I think Marcus put the gas cap there to give an idea of the size of the media, I'm pretty sure the cap would be destroyed after a few minutes with that media.

Some of us have tumbled bits and pieces for others, but it takes time and isn't free.  These machines are expensive, as well as the media. 

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 12:55:22 PM »
how do folks typically charge for this service?? by the item, by the size or??
5F09C331248

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »
Actually I put the gas cap in there just to have something to show the size of the media for comparison...and...to see if Bob noticed an original Autolite gas cap from a 68 GT500KR....but I think I think he was so excited about the media he didnt notice. 

I do tumble things on occasion for people but the best option is always to find someone local.  Usually you can find someone and saves time and shipping.  Alot of machine shops or fabrication shops have tumblers. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 02:27:57 PM »
Im still trying to get over the Harbor Freight comment.... :-[  I will not even drive past the one here in town and go out of my way to drive around it so I dont have to see it.   

You have more will power then I but it will be put to a test because you will be thinking about it now.  ;D     The tumbling media was one thing that they are way more expensive on.